(Dis) Comfort Strapp ... what next ?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Funkateer, Sep 29, 2005.

1. Funkateer

Jul 5, 2002
    Los Gatos, CA
    My Comfort Strapp was a big improvement over what I was using before, but my back still hurts, and I'm wondering if something not neoprene and a bit wider might be more comfortable.

Anybody move from Comfort Strapps to something else they view as an improvement?
  2. Well I hate to say it but I recently moved to the comfort strap. I have a few really heavy basses and I've tried wide leather, macrame, leather with a fake sheep fur pad. None as good as the comfort, I now own 2 and would consider another.
    Sorry to be of no help. ;)
    Good Luck,
  3. I own one to and I love it.

Can't think of anything better for the price.
  4. Fred312b

Fred312b What if I want to play jazz precisely? Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    i had one and didn't care for it. i bought a big fat padded leather strap made by perri's ( www.perris.ca ) - canada, eh? - and I love it. of course, i am also playing a lighter bass (stingray vs. 75ri jazz) but it just seems to sit better- my strap is 3.5" wide, and i paid $40 for it at sam ash if that helps. :bassist:
  5. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I use a 3" padded Levy's leather strap, other than that the only thing I can see moving too is one of the 4" leather padded straps from slapring.de.
  6. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    I have to admit that I bought one of those double-shoulder straps as a step up from the Comfort. I looked like a complete dork. I looked like I was wearing a Manssiere/Bro. But it worked. I wore it for one gig and it was a definite help. Other than that there is that shirt that has a strap built in or that belt-thingee.
  7. Fawkes007

Sep 13, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    I have a Moody's strap and I love it.
  8. I think I have tried most everything myself and I haven't found anything that works perfectly. Currently I have 5 4" Comfort Straps and an assortment of everything else but I only use the comfort straps...

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I didn't like the Comfort Strapp and I'll tell you why. Yes, it's wide and padded and all that, but on top of the padding is a strap of 2" seat belt material, and it pulls down through the padding and still digs into my shoulder.

So I bought this Levy's Bass Strap and it's better, but it's not quite there. It has a padding inside the strap, but it slides around inside and moves out of position, and it also loosens up and ends up putting my bass down by my knees by the end of a set. So I'm still looking for a strap that works for me that doesn't cost $125.
  10. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY

Wide straps are the only thing u can do. I wont buy a bass that weighs over 8.5lbs. All mine are lighter than that. Thats the best remedy

11. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000

This is pretty much the conclusion I've reached, as well. :meh:
  12. Tritone

Tritone Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    The Comfort Strapp works great, but not on neck heavy basses (too slick, and enhances neck dive IMO). I had to switch to wide/suede with my 7's, and it made a big difference.
  13. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    Try the wider leather straps from Zon. I have 2 and they cured alot of "ills" that certain basses of mine have/had.
  14. adouglas

Jun 23, 2003
    Bridgeport, CT
    I just went to the Zon site, and this:

appears to be identical, right down to the stitching pattern, to a Levy's M4GF:

Not that it matters...both cost about the same.
  15. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    Yep, that's the one. I wouldn't be surprised if they're made by the company. I'm quite pleased with mine and both are over 5 yrs old, so they've seen much abuse. I was ready to ditch my neck diving thumb 5 (even though it played/sounded awesome) and that strap saved me. It's now my #1 "go to" bass.
  16. Funkateer

Jul 5, 2002
    Los Gatos, CA
  17. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
  18. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    I had a comfort strap...they're fine as long as you stand perfectly still for the whole set...but if you like to do any kind of bobbing, shuffling (with your feet), jumping around, motown two-step whatever...forget it. You might as well buy yourself a mini trampoline.
  19. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    I own 7 of them one for each bass, plus some 'back-ups'.... They are great and they come in wide and narrow.