Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DIs with EQs

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Feb 27, 2002.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I don't understand the use of DIs that I see with EQs built into them. I have never once played a show using a DI where the sound person didn't have total control over what went through the PA - and even if I did have any control over that, how would I be able to hear/judge what the audience would hear from my spot on the stage. Simply put, how would I use a DI to EQ something I can't hear and is gonna get messed with by a soundperson anyhow? I have a feeling I might be missing something here. Please explain any and all who can. Thanks.

2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Some of these DIs double as preamps. I own two like this, an L.R. Baggs and a Fishman. I use them for upright bass, fiddles, acoustic guitar, etc.

Then there's units like the SansAmp Bass DI or MXR M-80 that are used to give the soundman something that sounds like a miked amp as opposed to a pure bass signal.

Some high end tube DIs like the Avalon have EQ features meant more for recording than live use. The Avalon in particular has some presets that give common flattering EQ curves to your bass, saving the guy at the board the time of dialing up something similar.

3. Intrepid

Intrepid

Oct 15, 2001
    Anybody have a problem with trusting sound guy with your bass sound...I mean, I really have a distrust for soundguys...what are they doing back there? I mean as far as you know, they could shutting you down on the mains, and cranking you on the monitors in order to trick you or something...they are evil...never piss the sound guy off...

4. Off to recording gear, sorry if my judgement was wrong Mr.FC...

5. Well, i was debating whether or not to move this one or not but...i decided against it. It can remain here. And us mods gotta work together, so i trust your judgement too. No harm, no foul.