Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DIs

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by FOE_Bass, Jan 14, 2001.

1. FOE_Bass

FOE_Bass Guest

Jun 29, 2000
    Grass Valley, CA
    I am looking to record soon, and I was going to get a DI box to help out my signal. What is a good DI box. The Countryman Type 85 got excelent reviews in BassPlayer, but everyone seems to have the SansAmp Bass Driver. Which should I choose?

2. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    I like the Sans amp but havent tried the other one. But then again I am the only one who answered your thread. Hopefully you will get more interest now its back up the 'top'.

3. Saint

Saint

Mar 2, 2000
    DC - USA
    I don't know about the Countryman, but the Avalon just got rave reviews from BP, too. Of course, it lists for over $500 --much more than I have for a DI.

The only two I've tried are the Bass Pod and the SansAmp Bass Driver DI. Even if the Bass Pod were half the price, I would still opt for the SansAmp.

I'll also point out that I've had great success using an ART Tube MP (about $95.00 new) as a DI box with my Ric.

Finally, if you are going into a studio to record then there is probably no need for you to buy anything. Every studio in which I recorded had direct boxes and often amps for me. While I always bring my own gear with me when I record, I've found that many engineers insist that you use whatever DI they have on hand and are used to.

4. FOE_Bass

FOE_Bass Guest

Jun 29, 2000
    Grass Valley, CA
    Amazing Saint!! I just bought a Ric (and I'm in love!!!!!!!) I'll try out that DI. Does Guitar Center have them in stock?

5. The Countryman is (I think) one of the best you can get. I have used them in many situations, and have never been sorry. But they are a bit expensive. It doesn't have any EQ or tone controls on it if you are looking for a little help in that department. For my upright now I am using a L.R. Baggs ParaAcoustic. It is a pre-amp with a DI. And it's built like a tank (and that's a good thing).

6. If someone else is recording you, see if they already have one and save the bucks for strings.

7. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I bought the Bass Pod and liked it so much that it got traded for the Sans Amp Bass Driver. I found the Bass Pod was just too much garbage and not enough good stuff. It had some really cool features, but tons of bad ones. But, it kind of depends on where you're at. I won't say that the Bass Pod is bad across the board: in fact, if you like emulating other amps, this may be the best choice.

But, I found that in the few days since buying the Sans Amp Bass Driver DI that I've got what I want in tone. The downside is that I can't store my different sounds in a memory bank. But, it's so much easier to use and costs less. Plus, I think it sounds better!:D

8. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

By my experience, check with the studio first to see what they have available. I was in a new (to me) studio a couple of weeks ago. They had an Avalon for me. I was thrilled because Bonafide's bassist, Slim Man, told me he uses one and I love his studio sound.

The definition and detail the Avalon gave had me looking at my bass, like, "Why didn't you say that before?!?!"

9. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    It really comes down to your application.

DIs don't "help out" your signal, they just match the impedance between the bass output and the mixer input. The goal of a good DI is to be totally transparent.

The SansAmp is used when you want a sound like that of a miked amp (you can EQ and dial in overdrive). You can also use it as a straight DI with the amp emulation cicruitry bypassed.

10. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

All I know is what was laid down on the tape, and, why the last BP "Bass Gear" said, "DI's may look similar, but as we discoverd in this Shootout, each can have a big effect on your tone...What should a good DI do?...or offer onboard tone shaping to dress up the signal before it reaches the mixing board...." Unless I'm misinterpreting something. But ears are pretty hard to fool.

11. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    A big thing to remember is what the circuit in a DI is actually doing...in the case of the Sans Amp Bass Driver DI, there's actually a preamp thing going on. And, in the same case, there's a "blend" knob that allows you to mix your dry signal with the preamp housed within the Sans Amp.

That's not to say that there's no affect to the sound if the Sans Amp is bypassed: it'll do what many DIs do...have some sort of a preamp, which will affect your sound. Those that don't have a preamp will not have as big an affect on your sound. But when you're boosting a signal to bring it to the impedance level of the sound board, you're still affecting the signal in some way. It's rare to come across a truly transparent DI.