Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

disabling ibanez active?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by billiamb, Feb 26, 2003.

1. Hi all,
    I have an Ibanez SR400 bass with actice electronics. I have recently been playing with different eq settings on it and discovered that my favorite tone is with the bass, mid, and highs all the way down and turning my amp up a bit. Is there any way to disable the actice electronics easily? I tried taking out the battery, but I don't get any sound at all that way. Any help would be great...

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I think you have the user name that I wanted....

Anyway, you'll need to disconnect the pickups from the preamp and the preamp from the output jack.

Then you'd need to decide what kind of passive electronics you'd like...just volume controls, a passive tone, etc.

Wiring diagrams can be had from seymour duncan's site, dimarzio's site and maybe even mrgearhead.com

Make sure you connect all of the grounds together and connect the pickups to the correct terminal of the output jack.

Happy soldering!!!

3. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Actually, if there is no output from the pickups when there is no battery, they may be fully active pickups. What you'd need to do is wire a battery loop to power them. This would be finding the battery leads to the PU's, wiring them together, then to the positive battery lead. Take the negative battery lead to the "ring" terminal on the jack and attach it (assuming it isn't there already).

Your best bet would be to keep the Vol and Pan controls as is, but take the output from the Pan and wire it to a 250K pot as a tone knob. All you need to do in that situation is get a capacitor (.047 mFd) and the 250K pot, look up a wiring diagram (www.projectguitar.com has a lot of links) and follow it. You may want to leave the 2 extra knobs in to keep the look similar.

If this isn't clear, let me know.

4. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I think that Billiamb was saying that with the preamp still connected to the pickups, no sound came out of the bass with the battery removed...which makes sense even with passive pups and a preamp.

5. rojo412

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
  6. Hey everyone, thanks for your help, but i was hoping there might be an easy way to disable them without soldering or any other major projects...its is my only bass so i can't risk screwing anything up. But thanks a lot for the suggestions...

7. rojo412

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Only other thing to try if you don't want to solder is bridging the battery poles (like putting a wire across instead of a battery). It may do the trick? Couldn't hurt!

8. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Without disconnecting the preamp circuit and installing passive electronics, there really isn't a way to run your bass passive. The output impedance of the preamp is very low (because of the transistors used in it) and it would load down the signal of your passive pups if it wasn't removed..totally trashing your tone.

I haven't examined the preamp in my Ibanez to see where in the circuit the volume control is connected and physically how it's mounted. Perhaps a tech could install a new volume control with a push/pull switch on it to allow you to have a passive mode. Probably wouldn't be too expensive to do...at least not for parts.

Good luck!

9. Adamb154

Adamb154 Guest

Nov 10, 2002
    I own and have played almost every ibanez model bass and I must say i am not pleased with the pickups that company puts on them .

Pair of C Duncans will do