Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

disappearing posts?????

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Tim Cole, Aug 13, 2003.

1. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    I've noticed for quite some time, that my post counts keep getting reduced. I was at 1048 2 weeks ago, and I am somehow lower now? I've been wondering about this for quite some time. Does that much of my crap get deleted????

2. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Its part of Bruce Lindfield's plan to keep everyone's post count lower than his.:D

3. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    It's probably if someone removes a thread that they started... Assuming other people have invested time and thought in their responses, I think that's a very unfair thing to do - maybe they should just be able to remove all of their posts but not the full thread?

Wulf

4. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I don't see why it is unfair. If a member wants to delete a thread they started, they should be allowed to. If the thread subject is no longer available, then the replies should not be available either, otherwise you have a thread with no context.

Increasing post count should not be a reason for people to post anyway.

5. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    There was some talk of purging old OT threads to free up bandwidth and speed up searching - maybe it's started?

6. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Post count isn't an issue - it's a pretty meaningless figure as it gives no clues to the quality of an individual's posts.

The reason I think it is unfair is that I generally try to put a bit of thought into my postings and, judging by the evidence, I'm far from alone in that.

Say someone has posted a question about harmonics. I might go away and figure out a really good way of explaining it, including various textual figures. It could take an hour or more to get something polished but it's worth it because that's part of my legacy to bassdom. Then, a month or two later, the original poster decides to delete the thread and that lesson, that I'd carefully crafted and pointed to every time the subject came up, is gone.

That diminishes Talkbass (all the related threads are now left with holes) and means that the most sensible solution is to start new threads rather than risking adding something further down the 'food chain'.

I'm happy with moderators being able to remove threads, with people deleting their own threads if nobody else gives an answer and and (to a certain extent) with people deleting their own posts.

However, that someone can take a thread with maybe forty or fifty replies (possibly representing a very useful chunk of knowledge and contributed time) and knock it out seems a bit shaky to me. I'd prefer other solutions - maybe members can lock but not delete their own threads, or they can delete all their own posts without causing the thread to disappear.

Do you see where I'm coming from?

Wulf

7. I've noticed it too. From last night to this morning I dropped about 4 or 5 posts, because I remember looking. Just weird, but if someone deletes their thread, they have the right to do so. I do think that they should look it over and see if there is some helpful info before totally deleting it.

jtbp

8. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    I figured out that's exactly what happened, but the thread that was deleted was of no use to anyone, other than maybe someone who is unfamiliar with the TB members maybe learning something new about them. No harm, I don't care much about my post counter either, it just seemed odd, although this post does seem to raise a somewhat interesting conversation.

9. Wrong Robot actually did it.

10. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

It didn't seem to make much difference to me - yesterday I was about 500 posts ahead of JT and I am now!

Maybe it only affected the "timewasters"? :meh:

:D

11. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I've not idea if I was affected - I tend not to pay too much attention to my post count.

I'm just thinking of a couple of times in the past where I've been sure I've posted something and then haven't been able to find it...

Wulf

12. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    says the man who came from being 1000 posts behind me in january. :D

13. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    You're not Ed Fuqua, are you?

14. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Yeah, I deleted my "say something..." post

that probably dinged everyone post count at least a little.

15. I didn't think you had the guts to delete it.

But I was wrong.

16. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Yup.

It sounds to me like you should write an article and submit it as a lesson like Jazzbo's music theory article.

Theshaz, please mind your language.

17. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    ur :cool:

18. :eek:

omg!

bobby (clay) was right! i am down from 900+ to 3 posts!

:p

19. Now that got edited.

Sorry bout that, I didn't know if it was kosher.(so to speak)

20. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    no problem. it was borderline, imo. better safe than sorry.