Disappointed In My Drummer

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by RobBottom69, Sep 12, 2017.

Tags:
  1. RobBottom69

RobBottom69

Aug 2, 2012
    SF Bay Area
    Here's one for the group...

About 3 months ago the BL for my first band, which I left a couple years ago, asked if I would be interested in a reunion show at a church festival they always play. The BL and guitarist had attended by father's funeral in February which was very nice of them, so I thought it would be good to do the gig. Not long after that their usual drummer was unable to make the gig, so I offered a guy I've been playing with for the last 3 years or so. The material was basic so I didn't think he would have a problem, he had the setlist, I figure no big deal.

Then 3 weeks ago he missed the first of 2 rehearsals. He said he would make it but got hung up somewhere, gave him the setlist again, then on Sunday we're rehearsing and it's clear he never practiced or listened to any of the songs. The singer was also the drummer, so he gave him a couple of demonstrations on the songs we were playing. Then after I get home from rehearsal he sent me an email saying that the drummer seemed to know the material so he should probably do the gig, and that he should have started playing through the tunes earlier. Story short, our front is now going to have to play the drums, on an electric kit because the BL sold his kit last year.

Didn't see that coming. I feel somewhat embarrassed that after all that time he basically blew it off till the last minute. Recently I was offered a $200 gig with another guitarist, but I had so much going on with other projects (including this one) that I passed because I didn't want to commit to the rehearsals and 2 gigs that were part of the $200. If my drummer couldn't make it it would have been nice to know instead of waiting until Sunday to give notice for a Friday gig. I had been trying to reactivate our band, but after this, I think I'll just quietly walk away from it.

2. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    Do I really have to say "fire the drummer"?

3. craigie

craigie

Nov 11, 2015
    calgary
    That is indeed flakey and the worst part is it makes you look bad. Fortunately your friends will understand.

Singing drummer? Awesome! That's what should have been in the first place. Hopefully he can do both together....

4. oldrocker

oldrocker Supporting Member

When you offered your drummer the show did he seem excited about or did he seem to feel that it was more of an obligation?

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  5. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member

That sucks. And you're still playing with this guy in another project? A person can't just bail like that. If you commit to a gig, you play the gig, because everyone else is counting on you to hold up your end.

6. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    That would be strike 2.5 for me to ever play with the guy again. If you say you are going to do a gig, you do it, and do it well.

7. RobBottom69

RobBottom69

Aug 2, 2012
    SF Bay Area
    No, I will probably not be playing with him again at this point. Maybe he had some behind-hurt when the singer/drummer showed him the rhythm on a couple songs? But he stated in his email that he wished he had started looking at the songs earlier, so...

I would like to bring the keyboard player over to the rock band when the time is right. I recommended him and another guitar player last year for a one off gig and they came through for me. The guitarist/band leader in the soul/R&B cover band I'm in is a friend of this drummer too, but rarely does the guitarist ask him to play gigs. Most of the time he asks this drummer who lives up in Roseville (that's about 2-3 hrs away from the Bay Area) Maybe this is why...?

8. RobBottom69

RobBottom69

Aug 2, 2012
    SF Bay Area
    That's a good question. Initially he said he liked the setlist, and I gave him the option to bow out after he missed the first rehearsal a couple weeks ago, but assured he would do it and asked for the updated set list. Fool me once, shame on...shame on you, fool me twice..can't get fooled again :D

9. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    I came here for the jokes. I'm very disappointed.

oldrocker likes this.
  10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 16, 2021