1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Disappointed in Rotosound 77 Flatwounds

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Texican, Dec 9, 2018.

1. Texican

Texican

Aug 9, 2018
    So I picked up a set of medium gauge Rotosound 77 monel flatwounds today, and so far I’m a little disappointed. Out of the package they were sticky or grabby on my fingers, and they don’t sound anywhere near as deep as the 40-100 super slinkys that I had on this particular P bass. The tension took some getting used to, but I’m not holding that against the strings because they are known for being pretty stiff and I honestly didn’t like the floppy feel of the super slinkys.

I’m hoping I didn’t waste $35, but something tells me these strings won’t last long before being swapped out.

2. Lee Moses

Lee Moses

Apr 2, 2013
    Tennessee
    They may end up not being for you, but I'd give 'em at least a month.

3. Root 5

Root 5

Nov 25, 2001
    Canada, eh!
    Flats are like a fine port wine, needing to be slowly aged before they reveal their potential. Continue playing them and be patient. I used to hate Roto 77s too, but they've grown on me over the years. And Bass Player Magazine chose them as the 'Best' flat in a shootout, for what it's worth. The stickiness goes away and the tone warms up/deepens over time.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
  4. Texican

Texican

Aug 9, 2018
    I sure hope so. I changed them one string at a time, and I couldn’t believe how much fatter the lighter gauge roundwound super slinkys sounded. Not what I was expecting at all

5. If I were to be looking for "fat" in a set of flats, the Roto 77 wouldn't be my first choice.

Root 5, BOOG, Thibby and 2 others like this.
  6. Texican

Texican

Aug 9, 2018
    What would be your first choice? They had XL Chromes and the Roto 77’s in stock and I went with the Rotosounds thinking they would be fatter and more old school thumpy sounding.

7. GHS Precision Flats (45-60-75-95) on my Precision = Phat and punchy.

Root 5, J-Mags, Thibby and 3 others like this.
  8. Texican

Texican

Aug 9, 2018
    Thanks for the recommendation. I’ve actually been wanting to try GHS pressurewounds as well.

Clutchcargo and Lardass5000 like this.
  9. Also highly recommended, although they're quite a bit different in tonal flavor from the Precision Flats.

Precision Flats = Rich dark chocolate.
    Pressurewounds = Creamy milk chocolate with crunchy almonds.

:D:D:D

Root 5, David2501 and Texican like this.
  10. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone. Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Pink Floyd Money = Rotosound 77s

Iristone, Doug4321, miljoneir and 6 others like this.
  11. Root 5

Root 5

Nov 25, 2001
    Canada, eh!
    My candidates would be La Bella Deep Talkin' Flats, GHS Precision flats, Optima RB or Chrome flats, Pyramid Gold.

nerkoids and DJ Bebop like this.
  12. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Lost Wages, Nevada
    Carvin LB-20 1.JPG I have the Roto 77's on this Carvin LB-20. Yes, they were a little.. not sticky, per se; just, IME, not as slick as some other flats right out of the package. But, that didn't last very long.. Yes, they are stiff - really stiff. Which, being a weird kind of guy, I prefer.. And, while I can't speak for other people's experience with them, once they broke in? On my Carvin, they're about as thumpy as you can get; with both the humbuckers split into single coils, they'll rattle your fillings loose...:cool:

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
    Root 5 and DJ Bebop like this.
  13. Abner

Abner

Jan 2, 2011
    Mississauga
    I think part of the problem here is that a direct comparison can be deceiving, as I believe the Roto flats to have significantly less output than most other strings. Once you crank up the gain to compensate, they will sound better.

That being said, I do think they have more mids than other flats (many bass players here would consider that a plus), and the stickiness does go away with play.

craigie and Root 5 like this.
  14. AboutSweetSue

AboutSweetSue

Sep 29, 2018
    Lebanon, TN
    I tried 77s about a year ago. I was disappointed a little. I thought they were decent, but they did have a mid-presence I was trying to avoid.

All in all, I was surprised by them. I was thinking because they were from back when that they’d be similar to La Bella’s or GHS in sound. I guess that was a bit of failed logic on my part. Shoulda read TalkBass first.

15. BigBear77

BigBear77 Supporting Member

Aug 30, 2017
    I’ve tried 77 a few times. IMO they sound better in J’s than P’s

16. matante

matante

Nov 3, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Almost no string sounds like it does on the first day for very long. Rotos sound like roundwounds for the first few days before they mellow out. Expect the E string to stay bright longer than the other strings. Give them at least a month to decide if you like them. I like them more than the Chromes.

Jason Hollar and DJ Bebop like this.
  17. Lardass5000

Lardass5000 Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2016
    Kentucky
    Wouldn't you rather have strings you like immediately? Instead of "breaking them in" and "coaxing the sound out of them".(oh boy! after a month or so they start to maybe sound "good"?) If that is really what you are doing--there may be better options for you. Find some you love.

There are lots of good roundwounds. NOT lots of good flats.

Some I like, you might like too: Sadowsky Blue Label, GHS Roundcore/Pressurewound, DR Legend

18. Abner

Abner

Jan 2, 2011
    Mississauga
    I think a lot of people on this forum might disagree with you.

And the reason one would put up with breaking in strings is because once they are broken in, that sound can last for years, not just weeks.

19. Lardass5000

Lardass5000 Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2016
    Kentucky
    OK.

20. JGbassman

JGbassman Supporting Member

May 31, 2011
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    I'd group the rotos with the DiAddario Chromes and EB Cobalt flats. They are brighter with more midrange. I call them rock flats, with more of the attributes of RW strings.

To get the thud and fatness of Motown and such, I'd go with LaBellas or other traditional flats

My preference is Chromes on a P bass with DiMarzio model P's, but that's definitely not a thuddy flat sound. I like the rotos, but the chromes edge them out with their smooth feel.

They will break in and feel better, but if you don't like the sound now, I'd say start looking for a set more to your liking.

Once you find the right set, you will know it. I don't have a lot of experience with flats, but the ones mentioned above I do. Good luck.

Root 5, dan1952 and DJ Bebop like this.