Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Disappointed with my new GK Backline 2X10 Cab. Any suggestions for a replacement?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by chout, Dec 25, 2005.

1. chout

chout

Dec 21, 2005
    Minneapolis, MN
    Hey all,
    I just bought a GK 400RB-III head that I dig so far (quite a difference from my Bassman 60 combo!). Along with it, I purchased a new GK Backline 2X10 cab, since I heard they were decent for the price, and very portable, since I have a small car. I was planning on buying a 1X15 Backline cab too, but...

Though I'm no gear expert, I gotta say I'm quite disappointed in this cab. It lacks low end and is very mid heavy. I guess I should expect that from a 2X10, but it just doesn't sound right to me. On top of that I'm surprised at how farty the cab is when I turn the amp up. The cab is 200 watts @ 8ohms and the 400RB-III is 150 watts at 8ohms, so it seems odd that it distorts when I turn the amp up just past half way.

I'm probably gonna return this cab, and get something different.
    I was hoping to get some suggestions for good 2X10 cabs under $300 dollars.
    Please no "i heard such and such cabs were good", I want to hear from people who speak of experience.

Thank you.

2. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    how do you have the EQ set? turn the bass down if the cab is farting out....plus remember that the "backline's" are the bottom of the barrell GK's.

3. chout

chout

Dec 21, 2005
    Minneapolis, MN
    I've never cranked the bass on the eq very far. Usually they are all up to 12 O' Clock. It's definitely worst on my active Stingray and Jazz Bass than my passive P Bass, even when I push the -10 cut to compensate for the active basses.

I think I truly learned "you get what you pay for" with this cabinet.

4. tim99

tim99 Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2003
    GK RBH210 is very good, much better than that thing you got, www.basscentral.com has one used for $399.

Eden XLT210 is very very good, much better than the GK 210 RBH, $475 used at www.basscentral.com.

For $300 used, I think the best cab you are going to get is a used Aguilar GS112.

You said that I could only comment on stuff that I had experience with.

Save your money up or go 112.

5. Nigel

Nigel

Sep 16, 2004
    Denmark
    How do you have your volumes set?

Try "volume" on 11 o'clock (with input pad on if you're running a hot active bass), "Boost" on 12 and "master" on whatever level of loudness is required.

If you're running the preamp ("volume") too hot you will get distortion or "farting"...

Try that before dismissing the cab. With that said, the backline are brighter than the other gk series because they are tuned higher to make up for the lack of a tweeter.

Also try these settings, with the volume levels mentioned above:

Contour: 9-10 o'clock within a band setting or even higher when playing alone.
    Presence: Off

Treble: 9 o'clock
    Hi-mid: 10 o'clock
    Low-mid: 12 o'clock
    Bass: 1-2 o'clock

That should give you some more bottom end to your tone.

Hope you'll like your cab better now...

6. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    +1 on buying used......I got a great deal on a used 410 Eden cab, about $400.

7. chout

chout

Dec 21, 2005
    Minneapolis, MN
    Thank for the help so far guys, and thanks Nigel for the amp settings - I look forward to dialing them up later tonight.
    I was probably being a little hasty in saying I didn't want suggestions about cabinets from hearsay (that's what got me here in the first place). I will look into any suggestions offered. I can't believe I didn't find this forum sooner!

8. If you want more low end out of a smaller cab check into the Avatar B112. I don't have one but I do have a B212 and it has plenty of lows. From a mathmatical standpoint 2 B112 cabs should have more low end than a B212 because there is more volume per speaker.

9. chout

chout

Dec 21, 2005
    Minneapolis, MN
    WOW, Nigel your settings did warm up the sound a bit! My train of thinking is turn everything up for more tone, but you've proven me wrong here. Very helpful. Thanks. Still convinced to get something else of higher quality.

10. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Just wiggle the EQ around a bit, turn up the contour knob (it's a mid scoop really) and turn down the presence a bit. Play with it all for a few days, the GK EQ is really a beast that takes a while to master because each knob interacts with the others a bit.

11. I play my Mesa through an Eden 210T, and it has me gassing for a 410XLT..

12. unity bass

unity bass

Dec 15, 2003
    Modesto, Ca.
    I think my Avatar 112 has excellent bottom. It gets loud too. (I use a 500w Thunderfunk head).
    You're choices are kind of limited in the under $300 catagory unless you go used.
    Avatar is in your price range and is an excellent budget cab.

Good luck,

Chad

13. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Can get a brand new Dr. Bass RX210 for $300 shipped. That's my next big purchase, I think.

14. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I've heard a few nightmare stories on Dr. Bass delivery times lately.

I have a GK Backline 210BLXII. I mainly use it for home practice and for VERY small jobs (acoustic blues jam for instance) where it would be silly to bring my Bergie NV610. It's not a GREAT cab. It doesn't go real low, but....for $180 brand new, it's certainly a servicable cab. It isn't a loud rock cab, and never will be.