1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Disappointed with P Deluxe?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jsonnenblick, Jul 24, 2001.

1. Hi. I have a Fender American P Deluxe, which I bought for its supposed great versatility. However, after playing it for a couple of months, I'm still unhappy with one aspect: its lack of a good slap sound. Soloing the bridge pu yields a tone with very little bottom end, no matter what I do with the EQ. Blending in the neck pu doesn't help. . .

Any thoughts/opinions?

BTW, this is not an inherent weakness of p/j pickup placements; I own a p/j Riverhead bass that ROCKS for slapping. But somehow the p/humbucker setup is not makin' it for me.

2. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

I passed through the American P Deluxe station a while ago. I don't slap so I can't help you there but I also found myself dissatisfied with it after a period of time. Although it could do a reasonable P-bass sound (I think the preamp took away a little something) and add some growl with the humbucker I just wasn't satisfied. I think that the Hotrod P is a better setup - the single coil J pickup just has more bite. If I were to get another Fender the Hotrod would be the one.

I personally moved on to a G&L L2000 which I loved but didn't keep (it didn't fit my hands) and ended up a jazz pickup configuration bass. I think a single coil (or possibly humbucking jazz-style) bridge pickup provides the most bite/spank. The L2000 did well in series mode but still wasn't as sharp as my current bass with single coil jazz pickups.

I wanted to answer you as another person who ended up passing on the Am P Deluxe but you can take my comments with a (large) grain of salt as I am not a slapper.