1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Disappointing D and G string definition in the mix

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mark Andrew, Dec 8, 2018.

1. So my Fury is dead my Dyna is an ugly colour and the T 40 doesnt quite fit the sound i want for some reason so I used the old P bass tonight. It felt like an old friend. However the D and the G strings disappear in the mix. Bassists using the setup after me didn't have this issue. A list of potential causes may help me get to the root of the problem....any ideas? thanks in advance. Don't have this issue with the other basses .....got a feeling the distance from pickups is to much for these strings.... Had recent setup but not sure it's correct ...

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
  2. Jim T

Jim T

Nov 28, 2004
    Seatlle
    First, you posted in double bass side. Distance from your pickup could be an issue - grab a screwdriver and find out - or - assuming you have flatwounds on your P bass, your mid eq may need to be tweaked, you could play closer to the bridge, use fingertips more, different cab...

Just be glad you don't have a double bass, where often all four strings don't cut through!

dhergert likes this.
  3. Apologies for that

4. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

Make sure the strings are new, the bass is properly setup then wonder about amp EQ and bring more low mids if needed. There is nothing special, difficult or mysterious about this really.
    Also basses never die so your Fury isn't.

5. Fury is getting a new neck so out of the running for now. But I think I will start with the pickups on the old P. The bass was setup recently and played as a result allot better but I think that's when the trouble began the pickup's were lowered. Is there an optimum distance? Strings are new. Not using it that regularly made it a bit difficult to tell the cause and trouble shoot. Players using the same rig playing after me but both with jazz basses were much clearer in my opinion..... I'll have a fiddle.

6. dagrev

dagrev Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2006
    Kentucky
    Sounds like you just need to raise the D G pickup--as long as the strings aren't hitting the poles. Definitely the place to start. If you go too high when you go up the neck the tone will start to sound weird or kind of out of phase. Just go back down a little if so. What I've found is that if the strings all sound even at home (not live setting), the D G will not be loud enough live. Dead rounds cold be an issue. Dead flats...well flats don't die! They do, but not like rounds.

This can be fixed. It's a Precision--it can do anything and do it well.

Mark Andrew likes this.
  7. JGbassman

JGbassman Supporting Member

May 31, 2011
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    Assuming the bass ran through the amp and foh, I'd say a combination of getting the pickup set for the optimal sound, plus it might have sounded good in the foh, just not on stage.

Maybe the other instruments in your band were encroaching in your sonic space as well. Getting them out of your area will help with your definition.

Lastly, the stage might have had a bass trap (normally 80-500 hz) that made the e and a strings boomy, and simply resonated sounding louder, where the d and g did not.

Mark Andrew likes this.
  8. Now I feel stupid. Turns out the last and only setup the bass had in almost 30 years the tech lowered the pickups considerably. That plus the sponge on the rear side of the pickup ( I though they were spring loaded) is well not so spongy anymore. This replaced pickups raised no problems. I knew it hadnt always been like that. Thanks for the advice.