Disappointing new cab day

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TechnoTurian, May 17, 2021.

1. TechnoTurian

TechnoTurian

Aug 7, 2017
    52717227-92D2-45E2-87BC-842CC30DE675.jpeg 567EB0AD-72A4-4431-A98D-B5992F77A8FD.jpeg Well I finally got my Ampeg Heritage 810AV delivered via Estes freight from zZounds and they absolutely beat the thing to death. I get it unboxed and the only sign of damage I see is a pretty nice dent in the tolex on the top of the amp. Annoying, but I can live with that. I get it to my rehearsal space, plug in, and am instantly disappointed. No matter what volume I’m at it sounds like I’ve got an overdrive or distortion pedal on. I’m assuming this is because of some type of damage to at least one of the cones right? I’m not looking forward to this return process…

Here’s a video of the problem, I’m playing a P bass with flatwounds at bedroom volume levels and it sounds like that.

https://youtube.com/shorts/nw5VAQyN2Jw?feature=share

2. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    That sucks.

It does seem like it should either be individually palleted or there should be multiple heavy duty handles on the box.

Best wishes on the resolution.

3. kjp360

kjp360

Feb 11, 2014
    I can see how that would be frustrating. It looks like the dropped an end off of the back of the truck, into a puddle!
    My condolences and I hope your return is relatively painless.

SJan3 and TechnoTurian like this.
  4. 808State

808State Inactive

Dec 30, 2020
    Its rare, but it has happened.

Cabinets are dropped or suffer a hard impact in shipping
    And the actual speaker baskets or voice coils are banged out of alignment from
    the force.
    So you have permanent voice coil rubbing

More of a issue with the shipping company.
    Then again some furniture companies have been in business for
    well over 70 + years. And they spend a lot of money and engineering
    to package heavy items to help improve survivability of care less drivers.

Its likely these items are strapped to a pallet for safer shipping.
    But most short trip local drivers don't deliver on pallets.
    Really Really depends, one the freight company
    And how much money the original sender is willing to pay

Last edited: May 17, 2021
  5. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    New England
    Send it back.

6. Geri O

Geri O Endorsing Artist, Mike Lull Guitars and Basses Gold Supporting Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    Need to check with the seller first.

It’s not a warranty issue. It’s a shipping damage issue. The seller may or may not be able to help with the damage settlement with the shipping company.

Good luck….

AlexanderB likes this.
  7. Yep, send it back. I could live with the ding , but if it sounds wrong......

8. gwangi

gwangi

Jul 4, 2009
    Forbidden Valley
    Don't wait send it back ASAP!!!!

J_Bass likes this.
  9. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    For starters, that's very poor packaging from Ampeg. It's a 200lb item with no sensible way to lift or carry it and no extra padding and protection on the edges and corners. I'd want to see 2" or 3" polystyrene, foam or cardboard on those edges.

I can't tell if it's been dropped, or what internal damage has been done, but it looks like it's been dragged on the edge so the box has completely broken up. I'd probably send it back. You just don't know how the damage in transportation has affected the cab.

10. musicman556

musicman556 Gold Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2019
    Smyrna, TN
    That's a super bummer. I ordered a Heritage SVT410HLF from Sweetwater a couple years ago and I remember being unimpressed with the packaging, but mine shipped via regular FedEx and made it safely.

I would love to see the packaging were Mesa to ship a 200lb 810. Their packaging is AMAZING. Like... I know it has nothing to do with their actual equipment and stuff, but the level of quality and detail that goes into their boxing and packing is beyond next-level. It is seriously impressive. Though I'm sure it's impossible to rule out ANY "damaged in shipping" claims, I have to believe that their rate is WELL BELOW industry averages because they put so much effort into their packaging.

I hope you get a simple and satisfactory resolution, OP.

Moosehead1966 and BlueTalon like this.
  11. InhumanResource

InhumanResource

Dec 28, 2012
    Shipping cabinets always scares me for this reason. Those big magnets on the drivers have mass and if the whole shebang is dropped... well, Newton says they want to keep on moving after the cabinet eventually hits the ground. Sad day for sure, hopefully the shipper will make it right.

12. EatS1stBassist

EatS1stBassist

Apr 15, 2016
    So cal
    Send it back!!

13. wmhill

wmhill

Aug 20, 2012
    upstate NY
    MTD basses endorsed artist Bartolini pickups emerging artist TECAMP bass players gear endorsed
    I refuse the shipment when something looks like that. Then it's on between the shipper and the seller.

14. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Shipping damage and claims are the responsibility of the seller that shipped the item.

15. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Bootlegger guitars : S.I.T. Strings Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Florida USA
    I would have refused the delivery

/\/\3phist0 and Jeff Hughes like this.
  16. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Not as easy now with COVID-19 guidelines in place. I've shipped several basses and received several that were signature required. The signature just says "CV-19", signed by the driver.

Lesfunk likes this.
  17. Meaculpa

Meaculpa

May 18, 2019
    Sounds like a broken speaker or something a little loose vibrating too much when you play.
    Send it back!

18. Benj-jammin

Benj-jammin Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2020
    North Carolina
    Gee-zuz, Techno, that's horrendous packaging! I used to work at a packaging store in my graduate school days - shipped furniture, TV's and yes, I even packaged a couple of combo amps and a bottom. We always used at least 2 inches of heavy duty Styrofoam ALL THE WAY AROUND! Labor intensive, but key-rist, we wanted it to get there in one piece.

19. MikePlaysBass

MikePlaysBass

Oct 3, 2011
    Contact the seller. They may have somewhere local that can accept the damaged one so you don’t have to ship it back. Even if they pay the return shipping, the right size and strength box and packing materials can still add up.

20. I scored an Aguilar DB212 from Amazon when they were dropping the prices on them a few years ago. Prime shipping and I was impressed by the box. Super sturdy cardboard that was double layered i think, and these giant foam corner pieces to hold the cab inside. Came completely intact, don't think the box had a single dent in it. All the other cabs I've bought in store so I don't have anything to compare it too, but it looks like Ampeg needs to do better for their heritage 810.

Charlie Tuna likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 21, 2021