Disappointing new cab day

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TechnoTurian, May 17, 2021.

1. Jeff Hughes

Jeff Hughes

May 3, 2020
    I got an Ampeg 410 in a very sad box a few years ago. Did it have that really brittle styro on the corners? You know, the kind of styro that crumbles when you look at it?

2. TechnoTurian

TechnoTurian

Aug 7, 2017
    Oh yeah. The sides were all protected by these thin cardboard sheets with small squares of the worst possible styrofoam possible glued on them. For a package that weighs 180lbs it's a complete joke.
    IMG_2046.jpg

3. HardNHeavy

HardNHeavy

Apr 17, 2014
    earth
    Is that the only damage and if it works without a flaw..Keep it....i put dings like in my first few gigs..but i re-read the possible damage to cones...Yikes good luck on your return. For something that big an heavy the packaging seems non-existent

Last edited: May 18, 2021
  4. zzSounds? How do you know this didn't come back to them as a previous return? That doesn't look like the proper packaging for a Heritage 810.

I'm sure they'll take care of it .. Including all costs and requirements to ship it back.

Last edited: May 18, 2021
  5. Tim Craig

Tim Craig Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Wow...that pic just pegged the needle on my suck-O-meter. I believe ZZ will take care of it tho. Good luck bro.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Sorry bout your cab. The vast majority arrive without incident but now and then...that's what warranties are for. It's such an amazing sounding cab when it works.

7. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    The packaging that Orange has for their cabs is even worse than that.

8. BlueTalon

BlueTalon Happy Cynic Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Eastern Washington
    Endorsing Artist: Turnstyle Switch
    This isn't a warrantee issue. This isn't a failure of materials or workmanship. This is shipping damage caused, apparently, by the combination of crappy packaging and abuse during shipping.

9. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    I bought a Rolls Mixer - $85 or something like that; they packed it into a box that was at least 5x bigger then it needed to be, just to hold the product. Sweetwater put that box into a box about 10x that size. When it was delivered, I had no idea what I had ordered that was that big - it looked like a speaker cabinet, and it's a tiny little mixer. Turns out it was 99 percent packaging. The product was fine - once I found it in all that packaging.

10. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Mine was shipped like that by a freight company and it arrived mint. That's abuse if you ask me.

11. Smooth_bass88

Smooth_bass88 vaxx! Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2006
    North AMERICA, USA
    yup, it happens

12. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    People who don’t take pride on their jobs suck....

BlueTalon likes this.
  13. BlueTalon

BlueTalon Happy Cynic Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Eastern Washington
    Endorsing Artist: Turnstyle Switch
    When it works, it works. Better packaging might have made all the difference in this particular situation, where the shipping company chose not to play as nice as they did with your cab.

14. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    I highly suspect water damage on that corner. Look how wrinkly it is.

15. MuttThud

MuttThud

Aug 31, 2017
    UK
    Great insights… confirms what I always suspected as I reach for the bubble wrap when packaging up items I’ve sold on eBay!

OP: really sorry about your cab. That’s so disappointing. Like others here, I am amazed at how poorly protected the cab was inside the cardboard box. Really shocking. Big surprise is that ANY cabs arrive unscathed if they’re all packed like that. Reminds me of the time I bought a secondhand DBX rackmount compressor (a 160, from memory, old but great) and the seller shipped the thing loose inside a cardboard box about as flimsy as a cereal packet. No bubble wrap, styrofoam, padding… nothing. By the time it got to me, the compressor had been bashed and dropped so many times it was poking out of the end of the box and the faceplate (3mm steel) had bowed and separated from the frame. Needless to say, it didn’t work when I tried powering it up.

And, yes, OP, got to raise a returns/refund claim about this with the retailer… no way should you accept this. That’s incontestably shipping damage… photos are unambiguous!

16. Real Soon

Real Soon

Aug 15, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Zzounds will take care of you. They're reputable and want to stay that way.

Suggestions about inquiring into a local place to drop it off are interesting, as shipping back in the original box looks like it'd take a whole pack of shipping tape.

And yes, shipping damage is covered under their 45-day return policy. Recovering the cost of merchandise damaged in shipping is up to Zzounds, and they will have no problem getting their money back from the shipper.

If the return is needed as a result of a damaged or defective product, or from our mistake, we will pay the shipping charges -- both to have your item sent back to us, and to send you a replacement item. Often we issue a factory-fresh product in advance (pending an approval) to get you playing music as soon as possible -- because we're musicians too. These exceptions are at the sole discretion of zZounds Music and its returns department.

17. I would not sweat the dent at all. Audio distortion though would piss me off. Maybe one or more of the voice coils became uncentered over the magnet. (Rub a Dub Dub.) Looks to me as if the shipping company should make this right.

18. Send it back immediately. The cab is faulty. Simple as that.
    Whether a speaker was damaged during shipping, or the speaker was faulty before shipping matters not.
    It's faulty. Send it back.

19. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Sounds like you had to wait for this one. I bet they don't have a replacement to send. Unless it was drop shipped from Ampeg.

If this was assembled in the USA you'd think they know to pack it up at the factory so it can survive shipping.

20. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    They usually pack to the point that the cost to add more padding doesn't exceed anticipated damaged units. They could pack them so that all would 100% survive, but the cost would not be something that we would be willing to pay, especially in instances of you or I picking one up at a store.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 29, 2021