1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Disappointing Tedeschi Trucks show tonight

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by xk49w, Apr 21, 2015.

1. xk49w

xk49w

Apr 13, 2008
    Well, it has been a while since we've been to a show. We walked out after two songs. The main problem was the volume - too much for these old ears (tinnitus/hyperacusis). I don't know whether they used their own guy or the house guy at the venue but the mix was not good. It was very bass boomy with no bass note definition (Tim Lefebvre). The kick drum in the mix was ridiculous.

Nest time I'm going to have to rig something up to use my in-ears. The problem is now She wants a set!

2. BluesOnBass

BluesOnBass Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2010
    By the Big Lake
    That's disapponting. Where did you see them? They are coming to my area next week (Kalamazoo) and was hoping to see them. I don't have your hearing issues, but still...

3. xk49w

xk49w

Apr 13, 2008
    It was the King Center, Melbourne, FL, which has a nice line array style house PA. I heard Pat Metheny there and it was stunning - brush on drum head crystal clear. Of course, this is a very different type of band. Her vocals were prominently forward though distorted to my ears. When Derek soloed (great tone BTW), the brain-blowing horns and tonsil-flailing backup singers were all drowned out.

Ah well. Don't buy the T-shirts. They are 65/35 poly/cotton and paper thin. You'll never wear one. She bought two.

4. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Why not just wear earplugs? Too simple?

Rocker949 and elgecko like this.
  5. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

What has happened the last few times I've seen them live (all at festivals) and even on Conan O'Brian...is Derek is just too darn loud. His tone is great but it's really unfortunate there is always such an imbalance between his and the bands volumes. I don't know if that is their way of showcasing his role in the band, but even his occasional rhythm fills and swells can overpower Susan's voice at times. I guy I know is a huge Derek fan and has given up on the live shows for this reason.

6. xk49w

xk49w

Apr 13, 2008
    I'd have worn them had I brought them. Seems wrong somehow though.

7. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    In my view, volume levels are a major factor in the death of live music.

One Drop likes this.
  8. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    At ALL levels, from the coffeehouse duo, to weekend warriors at Sadie's Bar 'n' Grill, to street festivals, to arenas.

nashvillebill and fdeck like this.
  9. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Seems wrong to try to protect your hearing? The one thing that makes it possible to enjoy music?

K...

10. xk49w

xk49w

Apr 13, 2008
    No. Let's make this simple.

1. I go to a show to enjoy music.
    2. I wear earplugs to protect my hearing.
    3. I do not enjoy music when I wear earplugs.

Therefore, it seems wrong that I must wear earplugs to attend a show to protect my hearing and not enjoy the music thereby.

Jhengsman and jthisdell like this.
  11. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
  12. xk49w

xk49w

Apr 13, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2015
  13. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    At least it explains why you now have irreversible hearing damage.

14. Marihino

Marihino

Mar 25, 2010
    London
    I agree that it's wrong to wear earplugs while listening to music. Isn't it? Just the concept itself - wearing protective earearplugs in order to LISTEN TO MUSIC. The loudness is not necessary, and that's what's wrong. People who put pressure on radios, cafes, pubs, venues, record producers to pump the loudnesd levels up are wrong, people who want to enjoy music without hearing protection equipment aren't.

Jhengsman likes this.
  15. I've seen TTB twice in the past 3 years or so. Yes, they were loud, but no louder than any other shows from similar genre bands. I found the mix to be good, although the second time around they played a horrible boomy room and all things considered the techs probably did the best they could. As for t-shirts, the ones I bought have held up just fine through many washes and multiple maulings from my kiddos.

Earplugs...I find they actually allow me to enjoy music more, not less. I had one concert a few years back basically ruined because I forgot my plugs and had to spend most of the show plugging my bad ear with my finger/hand. I guess they can be a bit awkward the first few times you use them, but IMO it's worth sticking it out to get used to them.

Trucks does have crazy good tone, and Susan's voice is powerful and fantastic. I enjoyed the first show with Oteil on bass better, but that's not meant as any slight to Tim.

I'd definitely see them again if they made another trip through town. Fantastic band, great live energy.

16. Robus

Robus

Aug 25, 2013
    Chicago Area
    It's a major factor in why I stopped seeing so many shows. That and ticket prices.