Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Disappointment

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by LiquidMidnight, Jan 9, 2006.

1. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I have a QSC RM850, which I love like a brother. I wanted more head room, so I bought a Crown XLS 602. I had to wait a month and a half to get that goofy XLR cable made so I could bridge it. I finally got the cable, plugged it in, and found that anything I played on my low B string clipped my speakers at low volume. I found the amp to sound muddy, whereas the QSC really brought out my highs and mids (and was generally more clean). Obviously, the Crown is intended more for PA rigs, but I thought I could use it as a bass amp. Needless to say, the QSC is back in my rack and I couldn't be more happy. I bought the Crown used, so I'll probaly just sell it off for what I paid for it or a little less. I've always loved my QSC, but this experience really made me realize how much I appreciate it.

2. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    Your cable probably wasn't made totally correctly. It shouldn't be doing that at all.

Don't be so quick to sell. Troubleshoot the problem, and act prudently.

3. +1
    It will be worth your effort to learn whats up with all your interconnects.

4. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    +1 I tried the XLS402 once and thought it wasen't too shabby. De-bug it dude! you may have your polarity reversed or check the oil or replace the wipers.

5. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I have a BBE preamp, which has a 1/4" output. I had to use an adapter to connect to the XLR. Do you think that may have had something to do with it?

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Yes.

7. +1 for troubleshooting. I have a XLS402 that I drive with EBS-1 pre and I´ve had any problems with clipping.