1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Disassemble bass to ship it?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by prokfrog, Sep 4, 2008.

1. prokfrog

prokfrog

Mar 16, 2007
    new jersey
    I have to send a bass to Hawaii. it does not have a case, nor do I have access to a guitar box from a music store, etc. I'm thinking the best bet may be to take the neck off to ensure a safe trip. I would be able to pack much more securely.

thoughts?

2. Pack it like it's bomb proof.

Double box everything, with atleast 2-3 inches of dense foam between each box.

Shipping insurance. Take pictures of everything before you take it apart.

3. Scottgun

Scottgun

Jan 24, 2004
    South Carolina
    A big box and a lots of bubble-wrap. Keep it assembled. Is this for a buyer? If so, I'd be annoyed if I had to put a bass back together. Now someone might say better than breaking, but this is unlikely if you pack it well.

4. p0k

p0k I play the bass and design things. Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2007
    Brockton, MA
    i wouldn't disassemble unless the seller agrees to it ahead of time (assuming your selling it).

5. prokfrog

prokfrog

Mar 16, 2007
    new jersey
    I am selling it, and you're probably right about "disturbing" it

6. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    For those of us who live outside the US, it`s generally a good (and cheaper) option. It`s much easier to handle 2 medium boxes than a large one, believe me.

I don`t see the problem in receiving the body and neck separately. All you have to do is to adjust the screws, put the strings, do a setup and it`s ready. It`s not a big deal to me.

7. XylemBassGuitar

XylemBassGuitar Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 14, 2008
    Durango, CO
    Owner and Operator, Xylem Handmade Basses and Guitars
    If you decide to ship the bass in two pieces, don't forget to loosen that truss rod!

8. prokfrog

prokfrog

Mar 16, 2007
    new jersey
    How much? half turn?

thanks

9. XylemBassGuitar

Aug 14, 2008
    Durango, CO
    All the way...

You don't want any tension from the truss rod on that neck. Without the strings to counteract the backbowing tension of the truss rod, it could potentially cause some permanent warping (especially coupled with the change in humidity). It's not real likely that it would be permanent, but it is a possibility, and worth taking the precaution to avoid the issue.

So again, loosen the rod all the way, but keep the adjustment nut just snug enough so that it doesn't move. When it's completetly loose, just nudge it a tiny bit tighter.

10. prokfrog

prokfrog

Mar 16, 2007
    new jersey
    Does that apply also to a two-way rod?

11. XylemBassGuitar

Aug 14, 2008
    Durango, CO
    Yep.

With a two-way rod you want to make sure that it isn't exerting any tension in either direction, upbow or backbow.

12. it doesn't hurt a thing. discuss it with the buyer, then disassemble, wrap the neck and body each in bubble wrap to have 2-3" of padding all around, box securely, ship AND insure. You're not going to have a problem.

13. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Yes that applies to any truss rod.

Don't leave any tension on the neck during shipping if:
    -you loosen the strings
    -you remove the strings

The rod is going to pull the neck into a back-bow...you don't want that.

With no case, it's much better to separate the neck and body and pack them separately.

As it is, once you get into a new climate, you have to re-adjust the truss rod anyway, right? right!

14. Scottgun

Scottgun

Jan 24, 2004
    South Carolina
    But to re-emphasize what p0k said, don't disassemble unless the buyer says ok. And give him a choice.