disassembling speakon for rewiring

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by amos, Dec 30, 2003.

1. amos

Oct 23, 2003
    SE Portland Oregon
    is taking apart the speakon difficult on an existing speakon cable/connector? I'd like to do this at my practice tonight to rewire for bridging, but I'm going to be limited on time. I know it's not hard to rewire, I'm only talking about taking apart the actual connector.
  2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I've seen two types. One simply twists off by hand, the blue part nearest the cord's exit point just screws off by hand. I also saw another version that required the user to insert a small screwdriver or car key or something to press a tiny, depressed tab about midway through the unit. Just to be safe, plan on bringing along a micro screwdriver set, which you'll need to unscrew the internal wire connections themselves.
  3. amos

Oct 23, 2003
    SE Portland Oregon
    yeah I got the blue kind. unfortunately either me or guitar center is a complete idiot because ihave 2 pole speakons so i need to go back and get the 4 pole. yeah its easy as hell. thanks.
  4. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond & SuperSensitive strings
    Good...I was wondering about this as I put together a couple of Speakon cables last night for the first time...wondering what I'd do if accidentally switched polarity of the wires on one end.

Something else to take along...the series of plugs I worked with required a #1 Pozi-drive screwdriver bit. A Phillips won't work, unless you like stripping out the screw heads.

It took awhile to figure out how to get this screwdriver bit...it turns out they come with most multi-bit sets...although just a few compared to the number of Phillips bits.