Disaster in Asia

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by CoolHat, Dec 26, 2004.

1. From CNN:

-- Massive tsunamis triggered by the largest earthquake to shake the planet in more than 40 years wiped out coastal areas across Asia as far as 1,000 miles away, killing almost 10,000 people.--

The death count is still growing. This is horrible news to the whole world and a grim reminder how small and weak we are in front of the power of nature. My thoughts are with the victims and those who have lost their homes.

Help is needed. Support your local charity organisations.

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    wow, yes definitely a reminder of how fragile we really are.
  3. Yeah, shows how incredibly powerful nature really is. :(
  4. Ifrit84

Ifrit84 Banned

Aug 27, 2004
    London, England
    The end is near.
  5. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    To quote george carlin...

"How do you think the planet is doing?"
  6. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    I had the chance to visit those places in Thailand.
    The area was beautiful and the people very friendly.

A real tragedy. RIP to all the victims.
  7. Dammit. I JUST got back from the Philipines on a humanitarian mission because of the typhoons that hit 'em.
  8. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    The total magnitude of this whole thing is just becoming apparent. I heard yesterday that there was an earthquake in Indonesia. I was in Indonesia recently for a holiday, so I took interest and decided to check up on it.

Turns out it measured 9.0 in the richter scale, the largest ever recorded earthquake. It created a tidal wave which has hit not only Indonesia, but Malaysia, Thailand, Sri Lanka, and India and even the Maldives. Look at a map and you'll see just how large an area that is.

They're sayin 11,000 confirmed dead and they expect this to hit 100,000 by the time all the missing people are accounted for. This figure doesn't include those likely to die from the expected disease outbreaks typical of these types of disasters.

I'm in total shock. My thoughts and prayers go to anyone affected by this.
  9. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    OMG, I've been trying to ring my Sri Lankan and Indian friends to see how their families are. We can not account for one of my Sri Lankan friends. According to his dad, he and his girlfriend took off to Sri Lanka on the spur of the moment last week for a holiday. At this stage no-one knows of his whereabouts. Please be OK Angelo, please God let him be OK!!!!
  10. Aye, heard about this yesterday. I hope your friend's alright Pete, and anyone else who has friends/family in Southern Asia.
  11. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    This is a bit scary. Like another signal not to underestimate nature's power
  12. The death toll is over 16000 now...........and rising. There's been a second quake too. I just hope there aren't any massive land slides, as that may cause mega tsunamis......... :-\
  13. lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    Wife's got friends in Phuket on vacation. Waiting on word. I'm guessing they weren't on the beach at 0830, and as long as they weren't on the first floor anywhere, they should be okay. I imagine there are other folks down there I know. Busy time of year; Korea is cold as a brass tit and lots of folks head down there on Christmas leave. Amazing how fast your world can change sometimes. :meh:
  14. If I weren't laid up at home with a broken knee right now, I'd have probably been on Phi Phi Island. One of my favorite places on the planet. Proposed to my wife on a Phuket beach.

Sometimes the world is a bad, bad place.
  15. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    This is absolutely horrible! I hope your friends are alright, Petebass.

All we can do is hope for the best, I guess. :(
  16. bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    Oh man, I haven't watched the news in a couple of days...I had no idea. Hopefully all is well with your buddy, Petebass. Be sure to keep us posted.
  17. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Absolutely horrible.
  18. That's absolutely horrible, I can't believe I haven't even heard about this yet. Man, this is a huge bummer (and that's an understatement) :(

Can you imagine if something like that hit a more populated area? (United States, Australia, Europe etc).
  19. srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    My thoughts and prayers are with everyone effected by this.

Time to step and help.

Red Cross and other agencies are going to need money more than anything. The magnitude of this disaster is bigger than anything I have ever heard of.