Disastrous good sound...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Obsolex, May 1, 2003.

1. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

Nov 17, 2002
    I love my bass (Ibanez SR3005 5 stringer), but everytime I play (with my amp), the sound seems awful, its either too much distortion, not enough boost, and on and on. I fool around with it a lot, trying to get, my, perfect tone, but can't seem to do it. I've played it on a SWR Goliath 3, and it sounded phenominal, is this just my amp?? _-soto-_
  2. aladdin

Mar 7, 2003
    Chiba, Japan
    The Goliath 3 is a cabinet, not an amp. What kind
    of amp are you using and what kind of amp was
    attatched to the Goliath?

Owning only a Stingray, I am a bit ignorant about
    Ibanez basses. Is it active or passive? Does your
    amp have an active and passive input?
  3. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

Nov 17, 2002
    My bad man, the cab was a Goliath 3 2x10, and the amp was just a SWR 350x, nothin too special, but it really brought out the character of my bass. My bass is all Active, has Bartolini Custom soapbar pickups (2)... I'm still used to saying AMP for the cab since all i've ever had is cheap combo's :bawl: :bawl: . But that should change this summer :D :bassist: . Anyway, would strings make a HUGE difference on the sound, I liked Elixirs, then I went back to Ernie Ball Super Slinky, and they are nothing compared to the Elixirs. _-soto-_
  4. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    It's likely your amp, but even a lot of crappy amps can sound OK if you work within their limitations.

Distortion comes from trying to get too much volume or using too much EQ boost. You're tyring to make the amp do something it can't do.

You can't expect low powered amps with small speakers to have the sort of full, punchy sound that high powered amps driving big speakers can deliver.
  5. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    also, check your bass' battery
  6. Your complaining that a 100w amp isnt loud enough and doesnt have enough boost? I've had a 15w amp for 4 years now, And it has sounded good with my very crappy Ibanez Soundgear 305 and even better with my Conklin. I dont know why your not getting good sound out of a 100w amp. Maybe your turning up the volume a little too high. Peace
  7. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

Nov 17, 2002
    UpDaTe: I started messing around with every single setting on my amp, and turned the MID all the way up (on my amp) and set it to whatever on my bass... It sounds soooo much better. I also think that it could be my cord, because whenever Ii move a certain way (with my bass), it starts to get really static-y, and I mean a lot. But it's not like that when my bass isn't pluged in, whatever... But this summer i'm either gonna buy a used SWR G3 4x10, or an Avatar 4x10, and an AMP with a hella nice EQ on it, and a lot of settings... _-soto-_
  8. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

9. incognito89x

incognito89x ♪♫♪ ♪ ♪ ♫&#983

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    It very well could be the amp.

I had a 35 watt peavey bass amp that sounded pretty good with my Ibanez EDB605. I later purchased an Ampeg BA-115 combo. At one point, I went to jam witha friend from work, with my newly aquired Warwick Corvette, and it sounded AWFUL with the Peavey amp. Once the volume was about 2, it just sounded like... fart. That's the best way to describe it.

I just recently sold my Ampeg Combo to fund a Amp/Cab rig. The Ampeg Combo wasn't bad, but the more I played it, the less I liked it. Just from expierence, I think combo's provide lesser quality sound than a head/cab stack. I'm ordering a Avatar cabinet (for the same price I sold my combo for) and I just have to shell out around 300 or so for a decent head.

Though that's just my expierence.