disc brake pads - good brands? (& now rotors also)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Killed_by_Death, Aug 1, 2019.

1. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

I've got 75k miles on my original brakes (disc brakes all-around).
    The plan is to change the pads at 80k, but as usual I'm overthinking it!

Haven't called Honda for an estimate, I know they'll be expensive, but at least they'll use the OEM pads.
    Now comes to getting estimates from others, what brands should I be looking for?

Are they like tires & the better performing ones also have a shorter life?

2. bassdude51

bassdude51 "You never even called me by my name." Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2008
    Central Ohio
    Umm, I've seen a TV commerical for some on line auto store. I can't remember it's name. But, I think that they sell OEM parts. You can hit the net and Google and probably find something for Honda OEM.

I try to buy from NAPA. They used to, don't know if they still do, sold 3 grades of brake pads. There is a trade-off, always is. Better stopping power but lower wear life. Go "Goldilocks" of the 3, I guess.

Good luck! (Got 130 K on my 2001 Toy truck. Original brakes! WOW!)

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  3. Killed_by_Death

I guess I'm easy on brakes, I coast a lot, instead of GASsing it & try to let off the gas far ahead of traffic lights & stop signs.
    The guys at Honda looked dismayed when I told them those were the original brakes.

The way folks drive, it doesn't surprise me. I've been stopped & looking in my rear-view mirror & thinking for sure the person behind me is going to rear-end me. They come flying up & SLAM on the brakes at the last second.

S-Bigbottom and bassdude51 like this.
  4. bassdude51

Nov 1, 2008
    Central Ohio
    It's a challenge driving with a cellphone. They can't help it!

5. Killed_by_Death

Ha, just today I saw a guy in a big pickup truck, dual-tires on the back, & he was FAR out of his lane in a turn (at a traffic light). I looked, & of course he's on the phone.
    Not just on the phone, but only one hand on the wheel. The other hand was holding his phone about 10 cm from his face.
    TBH he was looking at his phone more than he was looking at the road. I blew the horn was making gestures, but he didn't notice, even though the front of his vehicle was only about 5 meters from me.

bassdude51 likes this.
  6. biguglyman

biguglyman

Jul 27, 2017
    Rochester, NY
    The latest "thing" at shops like Firestone etc. is "LIFETIME GUARANTEED PADS!". They're ceramic and do a great job... you just replace rotors instead of pads. :rolleyes:

7. Killed_by_Death

Here's an odd thing I was thinking just today:

My last automobile was the same make & model & I took it to the same dealer for all the maintenance that I do my current vehicle.
    Yet somehow my pads were completely gone on that one & I had to replace the rotors. No one warned me the pads were getting low, at all.

This time around they've warned me twice that it's about time I change them, citing that I probably only have about 10k miles left on them.
    Maybe their procedure changed in the meantime, but I wish someone had warned me last time, might have saved a heap of cash.

biguglyman likes this.
  8. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    Name brand pads from Wagner or Bendix is the way to go. Parts store cheap stuff is exactly that..... cheap stuff.

If you go the Auto Zone / Advance route, get the Gold or Platinum series pads at a minimum...... the silver series / valucraft stuff is junk, despite the "lifetime warranty" that they may offer on them.

9. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    Rock Auto online for parts.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
    Killed_by_Death and Clark Dark like this.
  10. Here the best of the parts store pads and disks go by TKR.

11. bassdude51

Nov 1, 2008
    Central Ohio
    Human evolution is already taking place because of the cellphone.

[​IMG]

catcauphonic and Killed_by_Death like this.
  12. Mike N

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    Rock Auto sells all sorts of different grade parts, from economy to daily driver to performance.

ASA always, you get what you pay for. A $6 set of no name brake pads us exactly that.....

Clark Dark likes this.
  13. Mike N

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    Never heard of them.

14. Clark Dark

Clark Dark

Mar 3, 2005
    earth
    I'll second Rock Auto. They stock brake pads and rotors for economy, daily driver, premium, and performance. And they have name brands, A-C Delco, Wagner, Raybestos, among several other brands. I've purchased from them many times. An ignition amplifier for my Volvo which was priced @ $99 at AutoZone and Pep Boys and several other parts stores in Philly was 1/3 the cost at Rock Auto.
    Now I have a Pilot and an Odyssey

15. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    I use NAPA’s top quality pads on my Hondas.

16. Killed_by_Death

I'm going to make some calls for estimates on Monday, & I've checked prices on Wagner ceramic pads from Advance.
    My assumption was that my vehicle used the same pads front & back, they sure look the same, but they're sold as front or rear.

When I call about estimates I'll ask what brand they're using & how much it would run me if I brought my own.
    Yeah, it's probably a simple job if you're a mechanic & have the tools. The last time I did any vehicle maintenance on my own was in 1990, and I don't mean figuratively.

At that time I had to change my own oil, because the shops screwed it up, even after given instruction. My oil-pan had TWO drain plugs with a torsion bar in between.
    They'd drain only one plug & then wonder why it only took 3 quarts to fill it & of course the oil was still dirty.

17. Keger Jupit

Keger Jupit Inactive

May 10, 2018
    The Great PNW!!
    Hey @Killed_by_Death, I've been a parts mokey for about 6 years now. Ceramic seems like a good way to go for your explained driving habits. They wear longer, are usually quieter, produce less dust, & the dust doesn't cling nearly as much. I worked for the 2nd largest CarQuest in the country, & Advanced Auto bought them so they could have a premium chain of stores on the West Coast. Suppliers are pretty much the same, so I can vouch for their quality. Go gold or platinum level & you'll be just fine.

MattZilla and Killed_by_Death like this.
  18. Keger Jupit

Keger Jupit Inactive

May 10, 2018
    The Great PNW!!
    BOOM, there ya go! :D

19. Check this before you buy anything. Most shops, especially dealerships will not use customer brought in items for liability purposes.

MattZilla likes this.
  20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 25, 2021