Disc Golf...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Jon223, Jan 4, 2004.

1. Does anybody play it. Its one of my fave sports, but i cant drive over 200 feet.
    I've blown too much money on my discs, i need ta stop.
  2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002

I love disc golf, I also love Ultimate frisbee, and what I like to call Freestyle frisbee, finger spinning tricks.

My friends and I used to play around campus all the time, just marking targets and working towards them.

very much fun
  3. awesome
    What discs do you throw?

My fave drivers are
    Tee Bird
    Firebird (hard to do throw right tho)

Putts go to the birdy, and i used to use a real good aviar big bead, but i lost it in my bushes ( i think the neighbors jacked it)

Im an Innova guy.
    Oklahoma's got a lot of disc golfers, surprising for such an uncultured state.
  4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I throw whatever disc you give me :p

I'm not very versed in the sport, We used to play it with whatever discs we had, my friend had a set of disc golf discs, which we often used, but they weren't always around so we'd sub with ultimate or heavy weight discs.
  5. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    I love disc golf. I started playing and got obsessed, got the bag, lots 'o discs, etc.

Nowadays, though, I go out with a driver and a putter. Midrange discs do nothing for me. Simplify, simplify.

After practicing another summer I think I'll enter some of the PDGA tourneys in my area. We have a bunch of killer courses so I get lots of practice. (During the season.)
  6. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Wasn't this called "Frolf" in a Seinfeld epi?
    "The Summer Of George"!

BTW, IMO-
  7. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    About as much of a sport as regular golf. ;)
  8. yeah it is
    can you throw a disc 600+ feet? Its more of a sport than ball golf for sure.

Main Entry: 2sport
    Function: noun
    Date: 15th century
    1 a : a source of diversion : RECREATION b : sexual play c (1) : physical activity engaged in for pleasure (2) : a particular activity (as an athletic game) so engaged in
    2 a : PLEASANTRY, JEST b : often mean-spirited jesting : MOCKERY, DERISION
    3 a : something tossed or driven about in or as if in play b : LAUGHINGSTOCK
    4 a : SPORTSMAN b : a person considered with respect to living up to the ideals of sportsmanship <a good sport> <a poor sport> c : a companionable person
    5 : an individual exhibiting a sudden deviation from type beyond the normal limits of individual variation usually as a result of mutation especially of somatic tissue
    synonym see FUN
  9. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I'm a big disc golfer. I've played on and off for about 7 years or so. I usually carry all Innova discs (cause they're cheapest at the sporting goods store) and the 3 I carry are the Banshee, Valkyrie (which I like less and less) and a Shark which I use for both midrange and putting and is the straightest flying disc I've ever used. My wife enjoys playing too but cannot do the distance thing really at all and she gets frustrated near the end of 18 when she starts getting tired.

BTW, there's no such thing as "ball golf." I believe it's just "golf." ;)

brad cook
  10. yeah sharks are pretty kickin. I got a 175 shark and it rattles em.
    I really dig the 170 class Aviar for midranges and upshots...too.
  11. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Don't see how that's relevant.

Webster's definition is too broad...try again.

...and I agree with SooperDuck-
    Golf is about as much a sport as poker.
  12. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I've never really been able to get into the aviar. I used to use a Piranha for shorter shots and putts but at some point I just completely lost all skill and ability with that disc. Then I got the shark and I was back in business.

brad cook