Discerning a Fixed Bridge From a Floating Bridge

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Hi-End Basses, Dec 16, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Hi-End Basses

Hi-End Basses

Apr 20, 2015
    Can you tell them apart from sight? I like to remove all strings prior to replacing them. Then I thoroughly clean the fretboard and oil it down. I have a Fender Precision with a fixed bridge. I tried that with a Floating bridge once and it was a disaster.

2. For the most part, only hollow body guitars or basses have floating bridges. The wooden base to the bridge is another clue if it has two studs like a Tune-O-Matic--if it was fixed, the two studs would go directly into the body and there wouldn't be a wooden base.

If you pull all he strings on a floating bridge, take a couple of pieces of masking tape and put them at the edge of the bridge, on the body, to mark where the bridge is. Then when the bridge comes off, no problem, you've got a quick visual reference to put it back.

Tbone76 likes this.
  3. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    So it's not about Clapton then?

4. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

^^Just wanted to emphasize this. Don't ask how I learned it.

Bob_Ross and Will_White like this.
  5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021