Dischord Bassists

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Malcom, Feb 26, 2003.

1. Malcom

Oct 21, 2002
    The Midwest
    I just purchased the "20 Years of Dischord" box set, and I have to say I'm amazed. As a person who's always liked supporting bassists over prog/fusion wankers, I'm amazed at the lines some of these Hardcore Players exhibit. A few I feel stand out are:

Joe Lally (Fugazi)-just listen to "Waiting Room"

Fred Erskine (Hoover/Crownhate Ruin)- I can't say enough about this guy, he writes slinky, ominous lines that run right through the middle of the music, the guitars in both bands are more of a wash than a leading instrument. The Later stuff with Hoover is especially impressive as they incorperate longer songs with odd and changing time signatures. And he sings lead whilst he does it.

Dug E. Bird (Beefeater/Fidelity Jones)-If the Chilie Peppers had a child with Minor Threat these bands (who have the same vocalist as well) would be the children. Dug can slap and pop with the best of them, but doesn't when it isn't neccesary, Putting him a notch above monseur Flea in my opinion.

Dave Allen (Branch Manager, not gang of four)-THIS Dave can play pretty good too. nice walking lines that run independent of the guitars.

I'm not saying they're all gems, there are a good number of "dum dum dum dum" lines, but there are some diamonds in the roughs.
  2. That's a awesome box set, some incredible bands on it! It's also great to listen it from beginning to end and hear how the DC hardcore scene evolved.

My personal faves are Lungfish and The Makeup. The guitar solo on Branch Manager's "Mr. Weekend" is probably the best I've ever heard.

And yes, Dug E. Bird can play most people under the table.
  3. Exedore

Nov 15, 2002
    Pasadena, Ca, USA
    Yeah it's pretty crazy to hear the first song and the last song in the chronology - Q and Not U and The Teen Idles sound like they're from 2 different planets.

I also would have to give a shout out to Kim Coletta from Jawbox, although the song on there doesn't really do her justice.
  4. I really dig Joe Lally and I love Fugazi.
  5. Isnt Q and not U on Dischord. That band is somethin else. One of the new bands out there that really gives hope to the dream of a record industry that promotes good music and not a good "product".
  6. Malcom

Oct 21, 2002
    The Midwest
    Yeah, Q and Not U is what the Get Up Kids should have been.