Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Discipline-King Crimson

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Freaky Fender, Apr 7, 2003.

1. I need to resolve a debate with a friend of mine, and it involves the time signature. He thinks that Tony is play in 7/4, Bill is playing in 17/16, Adrian and fripp are play in 5/4, while i say it's one big fugue that is in 17/16. Can anyone help me out here?

2. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Uhh. . .which part? :D

I would hazard to say that the time signature (or signatures) change.

If you just mean the first section. . .I don't feel Bruford's 17 as anything more than a funky accent - with the constant quarters in the kick like that.

I don't have access to my copy but - how many bars of each pattern do they play before switching sections? I doubt that it's an even number of 5, 7, and 17 (which would be, uh, 595 measures). So, somebody's not playing their full pattern an integral number of times. To me this shifts the time towards whichever part does.

Not to mention - Robert's part does the whole 9/8 thing.

SO I guess my answer is. . .4/4. ;)

3. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I carried it around me for days and days
    playing little games
    like not looking at it for a whole day
    and then looking at it
    to see if I still liked it.
    I did.

4. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress...

5. That's INdiscipline, which has verses in 4/4 and choruses in 5/4 ;)

6. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I know, but it's a great quote, and a great song from the album Discipline.

I gave up trying to figure out King Crimson tempos about 15 years ago. I just sit back and enjoy the music.