Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Disclaimer

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Suburban, Jun 23, 2004.

1. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    This is kind'a weird, but just to clarify some issues that may come up in the next few years:

I do not copy JP basses! :scowl:

Background:
    JP's latest annoucements, the Naïa body and the blend-free electronics, are so intimately close to what I have been scetching on the last few years! It would seem as Jean-Philippe Ferreira of JP Basses and myself carry parts of the same brain!!! Even the JP pickup resembles some of my earlier thoughts (but is much more elegant, I give you that), and I expect you remember my flair for necks, laminated parallel to the fingerboard, like JP's old J-neck.
    Jean-Philippe has just resently become a father, after building up his enterprise and shop, with an understanding wife! :hyper:
    Dispite my higher age, I have not achieved that level yet (except fatherhood :meh: ). I just sit on a huge pile of ideas, accumulated over 20+ years, my shop is my kitchen and bedroom (not allways appreciated :bag: ), and my output is max 2 basses per year.

Bottom line:
    just remember, when you see a bass of mine, or JP, that
    I do not copy JP basses! :scowl:
    nor does JP copy SUBurban.

Jean-Phillippe: keep up the good work! :bassist: :D

2. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    Cool. So when can we se more of your basses then?

Hallgeir

3. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I'll only add that, scandanavian woman are HOT!

4. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    The most important thing in this thread.

5. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Eventually: yes.

6. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    lol Sub!

did anyone said you were copying???

Peace,
    JP

7. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    I'm sure this guy has something fantastic in the works.

BTW aren't you Urban from the CB list?

Hallgeir

8. Multi lam necks parallel to the fretboard? You're all rippin off Linc Luthier.

;)

j/k. Nice basses folks.

9. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    JP: no, not yet...

Mon: no, not Linc. Actually, I got the idea from the automotive business, but I have learned that the method was used centuries ago by some luthiers. There is actullay grounds for questioning Lincs patent - well, had been outside US and Asia....

elros: yes, though I'm currently unsubscibing. I will be back in August - which goes for TB as well. I'm doing this last session, then I'm off.

See ya'all in August!

10. DaveAceofBass

DaveAceofBass Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    Hey guys,
    You're all ripping off Linc!!! He obtained a patent because his process was unique and no one was doing it at the time. That is patent infringement. Law suits could follow, although Linc is not an aggressive personality type. Hope you consider how you are gonna make it different.....

11. Its not really. Linc's patent is fairly defined and only applies in the US (possibly one or two more states). This means they, by the nature of their location, have a perfectly good work-around for the patent because it's not relevant in their countries.

I know JP's already aware of this and has ensured that, at least while he was making the J-neck, he wasn't infringing the patent. I'm also fairly confident that Sub is also aware, he understands the grounds he has for contesting it anyway.

Patents do not automatically guarantee complete exclusivity of usage, a significant portion of the biotechnology industry is concerned with gaining appropriate protection of Intellectual Property and working around competitors' protection.

Sub, I'm looking forward to seeing more of your stuff, especially if you're going to have some similarities to JP's work, because what he does is incredible.

Josh D

12. Wolfehollow

Wolfehollow

Jan 21, 2003
    Pensacola, FL
    I never understand these discussions... Ive seen many basses that borrow from another and no one says a word, then I see something similar and everyone thinks copy... It just seems that people are very subjective with thier sense of originality depending on what brand or friend is being copied or copying. :) ...just my .02.

13. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    Dave, did you ever read the patent?? I did numerous time. The patent is much more than horizontal lamination.

We're not ripping Linc neither infringing his patent at all. Also Sub and I got the idea from mechanic industry rather than from Linc.

Horizontal lamination just comes from simple physics.

Peace,
    JP

14. I just wanna ensure you all that when I made my comment, my tongue was poking thru my cheek. :smug:

15. Your tongue was through your cheek! That sounds painful.

16. DaveAceofBass

DaveAceofBass Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    I didn't think you were ripping off Linc's patent, but maybe some of the other people were. Besides you're in Europe right? How do you look at a patent? Is that available on the internet?
    Sincerely,
    Dave

17. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    linc patent

18. I actually prefer viewing them through the EPO. Go to Number Search

Then stick in the publication number (found by clicking JP's link), making sure to change it into the format they want (area code is US if you didn't know). Click the 'include family' box as well, so that you find any that are directly related (ie same patents in other countries).

I've found the USPTO is good for searching but the reading format that the EPO use is a lot easier to read. And its also easier to find the search report, which in this case says its there but isn't when you look for it.

Josh D