1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Disco/funk band audition - questions

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by SanDiegoHarry, Mar 23, 2009.

1. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    So I am auditioning for a Funk/Disco/ band tomorrow night - I've got the 4 songs they want me to show up:

Lowdown - Boz Scaggs
    Blue Bossa - Standard
    Ain't no Stopping us now. - McFadden and whitehead
    Boogie Ooggie - Taste Of Honey

Okay, so anyone raised in the '70s knows Lowdown... Blue Bossa I can pull out of my fakebook... Ain't no stopping us now is a funny song - - funny as in terrible, but with a pretty cool bass part so I'm digging that...

Boogie Oogie, however... It seems like the recording was done with a very mediocre bassist who kinda hacked up his part. My temptation is to "do it right", but this *is* a cover band, so the more reasonable part of me says I should play it as recorded (within reason - no intentional clams!).

Thoughts? Any of you guys had the pleasure of covering "Boogie Oogie and have some perspective?

thanks

2. Mike Shevlin

Mike Shevlin

Feb 16, 2005
    Las Vegas

Ah....here is a video of the mediocre bassist who 'kinda hacked up his part.'

3. Mike Shevlin

Mike Shevlin

Feb 16, 2005
    Las Vegas
    ...ah....huh huh...that's my woman ur talkin' about dude...huh huh.....fartknocker!.....

Beavis.

4. SanDiegoHarry

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I should have thought to do a youtube search... I have to say she pulls it off better live than on the studio recording...

And holy cow are those dancers... Enthusiastic!

thanks

5. T-MOST

T-MOST Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2004
    NJ via NYC
    hacked the part?????? "YOU" are going to do it "right" LOL You are funny.

6. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

:scowl:

When the entire band is playing the correct parts with the correct chord structure, this can be a great song to play aaannndddd......you get to have a little mini solo at the end. Janice was far from mediocre as a bassist! Disco was what it was back then. Some basslines are cheesy and some are classic. I'd put this in the classic section (as simple as the bassline is).

7. gdawg27

gdawg27

Jan 12, 2006
    I'm just curious. Do you like any disco songs? You don't seem to like "Ain't no Stopping us Now" (a classic, IMO) and you think the Boogie Oogie Oogie bass line sounds hacked up (a classic bass line, IMO).

8. SanDiegoHarry

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Geeze guyz - didn't mean to start a flame session.

Never freakin' mind.

9. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

LOL! I think we're just having fun with you. Honestly, ya gotta love the genre (and all it's cheesy basslines) to play this stuff! ;)

10. Mr. Mig

Mr. Mig

Sep 7, 2008
    You shuld play whta you love. If disco is not your thing then you are going to get frustrated quickly.

11. Mike Shevlin

Mike Shevlin

Feb 16, 2005
    Las Vegas
    Me Too!!! This is now officially the Janice Marie Johnson Love Thread. Janice is the woman I love....so :spit: to anyone who thinks she 'hacked up her parts'.

JaniceMarie.

12. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Is that a recent pic? Is she still hot??

[​IMG]

Wow!

13. gdawg27

gdawg27

Jan 12, 2006

Aww c'mon. It's not a flame session. When you say things like this:

It's hard not to think like this: :eyebrow:

:)

To answer your question, I think you should play the bass line as close to the original as possible. It's a song where the bass line is instantly recognizable.

14. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    go in there and "do it right". if they call you back then you know you did. if they dont..................;)

15. Mike Shevlin

Mike Shevlin

Feb 16, 2005
    Las Vegas
    Ya - this was from last year. Damn do I ever envy this lucky acoustic guitar.
    JaniceMarie2007.

16. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    I think the bass line is a signature part of the song and to "do it right" would make the song unrecognizable as a cover.

Hell yes! :D

17. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I am curious as to how you would 'do it right' though! I have heard many a bassist butcher the bassline. Either they couldn't capture the feel or the groove. I honestly can't hear it being played any other way!

18. Bassman8416

Bassman8416 Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2004
    Long Island,New York
    I had to learn this tune .....its a blast. I like the way Janice plays it....its especially cool when she sings the vocal... "listen to my bass here".....right there I do a little slap thang and everybody loves it!!!!! People just get up and dance to that song......play it like the original, especially for the audition, you can always add some subtle flavors to it!!!!
    Good Luck :)

19. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Boogie is the classic Disco octave thing,,,, just because she stays strictly eighths does not mean you have to. Within "good taste"and being"stylistically appropriate" you can rhythmically embellish that line all night long!

BTW I'll let you talk about the boogie,,,,,,cause it's not my thing...

BUT don't be talkin about Ain't no stopping! That song is beautiful.

Aj

20. Mike Shevlin

Mike Shevlin

Feb 16, 2005
    Las Vegas
    A photo taken this year for good measure - I LOVE HER!

janicemarie1.