1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Disco/funk Synth bass

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Jerry J, Sep 18, 2008.

1. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I did a search but couldn't come up with anything except a recommendation to just buy a keyboard.:meh:

I am looking to get a bass tone similar to what the Bar Kays got on the song "Hit and Run". It is close to what the Dazz Band got on the song "Let it Whip". Is there an effect or a group of effects to get close to that sound?:help:

2. You might be able to get a similar sound with a combination of an octaver and an envelope follower. Or you could use an ehx bass microsynth. Cheap alternatives might include the boss syb series or the usual suspects in the low end - these satisfy some people.

Or if you got $650 or whatever lying around you could preorder the chunk bass synth, it looks pretty durn cool.

3. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    The EHX Bass Micro Synth will cop that surprisingly well and do a ton of other sounds too.

I would recommend the BMS over an envelope filter/octaver combo. Yes they'll give a similar effect, but it just works better from the BMS. The gating it does and the triggered nature of its filter makes a big difference in giving a more believable synth feel to what you're playing.

4. Jerry J

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Thank you so much for the quick replies.:) I'm such an effect dummy.:bag:

Maybe it's best to start off cheap and work my way up? So the Boss SYB is a good place to start? Then the EHX Bass Micro Synth?

Hopefully I will find what I need before getting to the Chunk Bass Synth level of cost.:eek:

5. arjune

arjune

Oct 8, 2006
    SF, CA
    I have the SYB, and if I was using it to get a sweet bass synth sound, I would despise it.

It works pretty well for brutal noise destruction though.

6. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk

Apr 4, 2008
    ditch the syb and go straight for the bms.

7. jgsbass

jgsbass

May 28, 2003
    Floral Park, NY
    or save a lot of money and check out the Digitech Bass Synth wah

8. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    I use this pedal in the #2 mode that includes both envelope and octave. Pretty funky and easy to set up.

9. Stay away from the Boss SYB. It has some neat sounds, but as a fellow Tber put it in another thread:

It's tracking is abysmal.

Seriously, do not waste your time with it.

10. I'd say the BMS is worth the $250 it costs, but if that's too much, the old large-format BMS now sells for fairly cheap!

11. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    Good call, but bear in mind the bypass on the old one is a shocking tone sucker, so you'll probably need to babysit it with a true bypass loop switch if you're going to use it live.

12. Jerry J

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Thank you for all the suggestions.

When I was searching for info on the original BMS I seem to remember reading something about a true bypass mod. Was there such a thing?

13. Guest043

Guest043 Guest

Apr 8, 2008
    korg G5
    akai deep impact
    EHX bass micro synth

14. Jerry J

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I just did a search for the G5 and the Deep Impact. The prices on those are crazy.

So it looks the best option is the new re-issue of the EH BMS. I haven't had a chance to get anywhere to check it out.

Just curious the EH has a sub-octive setting. Would this take the place of something like the EBS Octobass?

15. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    I have a microsynth and you need a modulation after to get the real oscillator effect of a synthesizer.

I suggest phaser but if you can get variable waveform it's a bonus...I know EH's pulsar is a vw tremolo...

16. Guest043

Guest043 Guest

Apr 8, 2008
    the EH sub octave is ..yucky, at best..IMO.

its not a clean octave like an OC-2 or EBS octave.

17. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    totally.

i have one and I miss my oc-2

18. almix12

almix12

Apr 3, 2008
    it isn't hard to true bypass mod an old BMS if the price is right
    u can definitely get that tone
    as well as sweeping awesomeness ones