1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Discoloration/"stain" on Reranch nitro - thoughts?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by friskinator, Jan 30, 2017.

Tags:
  1. friskinator

friskinator Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Maryland
    Recently I noticed a strange discolored spot on the side of a bass I refinished several years ago with Reranch Surf Green. At first glance, it appears to be the dreaded discoloration from sitting on the wrong type of guitar stand, but I've always kept any non-nitro-approved stands covered with cloth where the finish touches.

Any idea what caused this? I've tried buffing it out, but that got me nowhere. There is Reranch clear on there, but it's relatively thin.

IMG_2039.JPG

2. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Apparently you forgot the cloth, or not thick enough...

JGbassman, Dadagoboi and Spidey2112 like this.
  3. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Wouldn't you have two stains from the stand support? I ordered primer, paint (Copper Tone Metallic) and lacquer (all nitro cellulose based) from ReRanch. From what I've researched, you can put on multiple thin coats of each, of course... when you get to the lacquer, once applied, you want to let that cure for at least a couple of weeks (longer the better). Maybe, nitro was thick on one support, and not so thick on the other, hence the one stain?

Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
  4. friskinator

Apr 5, 2007
    Maryland
    You'd think there would be 2 stains, but there aren't. The bass is presently being stored in a Warwick multi-stand with the felt interior, and I assume that's finish-safe.

I'm guessing outside of refinishing, there isn't much I can do, right? I don't plan on ever getting rid of it, and at least it's not noticeable while playing.

5. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    If buffing didn't work, your only other option is sanding it out. How long did the nitro cure?

6. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Did the stand affect the other guitars?

7. friskinator

Apr 5, 2007
    Maryland
    It cured for almost 2 months before I sanded/polished. No other guitars were affected.

8. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Again, the lacquer might have been applied too thin in that area, or possibly sanded through to the paint... if you have any more paint, spray a scrap piece, let it dry, place on an used portion of your stand (with about 9 lbs of downward force), for a couple of weeks, and see if we can't reproduce the problem... then, work toward a solution from there.

buldog5151bass likes this.
  9. friskinator

Apr 5, 2007
    Maryland
    It's definitely not sanded through to the paint. It's very strange, since I never let it sit on the stand without a cloth over the rubberized parts of the stand. Could the felt interior of the Warwick stand I'm using now cause staining?

10. JGbassman

JGbassman Supporting Member

May 31, 2011
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    I'd say something did. That's a dead ringer for a stand mark to my eyes. Was there any type of stain or imperfection before the refinish there?

11. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    If there's two points of contact, you would think the felt, if indeed the problem, would leave two stains, not one.