Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Discolored binding

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Deynn, Sep 9, 2000.

1. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    The binding around the body of my bass is turning yellow. Does anyone know if it is possible to restore it to the original white?

2. Nope, what you've got is what you'll have. Most bindings will do this over time and it comes from a variety of things but usually it's environmental. You don't have to keep it in a smoky bar for this to happen. Just curious though - how old is your bass?

3. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    It's a '94 and was yellowing when I got it a few months ago. I am not sure how the previous owner cared for the bass, or to what it was exposed. The bass is still cool though, so I guess I'll live with it. :)

4. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Deynn the yellowing is a mojo thing. The yellowing is a little part of every smoky club that bass has been played in.;)
    My 84 RIC binding has yellowed very nicely over the years and so has my St Blues it adds character.

5. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Deynn: The turning yellow is not a bad thing. Call it patina and it sounds better. To me the yellowing adds character to a bass (or any instrument)and points out the basses maturity.

6. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    Well, this bass certainly DOES have a mojo. :) It just LOVES to be played. If I pick it up....I know I'm gonna be there a while.....:D