Discolored frets on my Warwick FNA Jazzman

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by koolkef, Jan 11, 2006.

1. koolkef

Jan 11, 2006
    Hi there all,

I just got my hands on a Warwick FNA Jazzman but the frets looks like they have discolored and I was told to used some ScotchBrite pad to clean it.

Is this advisable?

Also my bridge on the low B does not seem to lower when I loosen the nut! Instead the nuts comes out!

Please help.

Thanks a lot.

2. JoshB

JoshB A great man is always willing to be little. -RWE Supporting Member

I use 0000 guage steel wool to clean frets. I'm also a bit anal and tape off the entire fretboard to protect it. I can send you some pictures if you want to see what I mean...
  3. Fred312b

Fred312b What if I want to play jazz precisely? Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
  4. JoshB

JoshB A great man is always willing to be little. -RWE Supporting Member

To actually quote that manual...

"Bell Brass Frets: All Warwick fretted basses come with frets that are made from a special silver/bronze alloy. This material is commonly known as “bell brass” because it is the same material that the bell makers in Europe have been using for many years. Bell brass is an extremely resonant metal that is perfectly suited for use as frets. Warwick frets are perfect for musical use with one slight exception. Like any brass product, these frets will tarnish. The tarnish doesn’t hurt anything, but if you want to keep them shiny, Cap Cod polish cloths, Nevr-Dull Magic Wadding Polish, or the green side of a Chore Boy sponge and some elbow grease do a great job."
  5. Yorkiebassist

Dec 20, 2005
    Steel wool or wire wool makesthem all shiny and new looking for a while, but gradually they become oxidised again.
  6. BEADG

Jan 8, 2006
    North Carolina
    I used a polishing cloth I bought at a jewelry store for a few bucks and had the frets on my Warwick shined up in 20 minutes without even removing the strings.
  7. the_home

the_home Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Pensacola, FL
    Just a reminder - Always mask off your pickups when using steel wool anywhere near them to keep any loose steel threads away from the pickup magnets. :rollno:
  8. koolkef

Jan 11, 2006
    Thanks guys for yr feedback.

Well, will see which solution is best!

Also, does anyone know why my bridge on the low B side(upper rear) will not lower? The adjustment screw just pops up instead of the bridge going down to set the action lower.

Thanks again guys.