1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Disconecting a crossover from a Markbass NY122 ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by matt8602, Dec 8, 2018.

1. matt8602

matt8602

Dec 12, 2009
    Hi !
    Recently got a New York 122 with an adjustable tweeter level. I never used tweeters on my previous amps because I dislike the tone and prefer speakers only (simply by turning the horn switch off). But the result is different on the Markbass when I turn the tweeter volume down. It sounds dull, like there are not at their fullness. In this cab their is a crossover, the frequency is set to 3.5K regarding Markbass website. I guess there were no crossovers on my previous amps so the speakers got the full frequency spectrum, tweeter or not. I tried to take a look on the driver board inside the cab, I also disconnected the yellow wire which is + from tweeter, but it doesn't bypass the crossover (same tone from speakers).
    My question is, is it possible to completely bypass the crossover ? Before maybe it's good to know if it's looks like a true crossover to you, and if the crossover affects only the tweeter or also the speakers too ? (so in this case disconnected the crossover will not change anything). Thanks in advance !

IMG_3128.JPG

Attached Files:

2. Blues Bass 2

Blues Bass 2 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    Looks like a high pass with no way to run straight to the woofers since the speakons are fastened to the board . If you take the yellow wire and the black that go to the tweeter level control off and tape the connectors with electrical tape to isolate them . It's the same as bypassing the crossover . Make sure to fasten the loose wires with tape or a tyrap so they don't get near the woofers .

gitfiddl likes this.
  3. matt8602

matt8602

Dec 12, 2009
    Thanks for the input. I did it but it's doesn't change the tone from speakers, it sounds exactly the same as connected tweeter with level off. Do you think it worth the try to buy a speakon socket just to wire the speakers straight to the input and completely remove the driver card ?

4. Maybe that’s just how the woofers sound by themselves.

Edit: If you don’t like how the cabinet sounds you’d be much better off trading it in against something you do like. Trying to make something into something it’s not is usually a fail.

5. Blues Bass 2

Blues Bass 2 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    Like Paul said , that's just how they sound .

6. matt8602

matt8602

Dec 12, 2009
    Indeed, I guess that's just how they sound maybe. I owned a bunch of cabs and never have to deal with such a lack of highs, so this MB makes me confused. Usually even with tweeter off, I could still have plenty of edginess on the woofers when I push the treble (GK, Fender, Peavey, Laney, Ampeg ... ). Regarding the 2€ price of a neutrik speakon socket, I may give a try for a direct bypass just to make sure the x-over still not interfere as the connections are still made on the driver.

7. It's the speakers and the box. I had the NY112 for years and thought two 12s, in the single slightly larger box would give me more of the same. Not true. Something must be going on between the speakers, cabinet shape/size/port size, and that HP filter that makes that cabinet very, very dark sounding.
    Unlike the NY112, the tweeter in the 122 is actually a voice-coil tweeter, and not a piezo, so it really does a lot more work to open that cab up.