Discontinued "classic" basses????

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by panic_striken, Feb 10, 2006.

1. panic_striken

Oct 13, 2005
    I was wondering if there were any basses that are discontinued and sought after by collectors/players for great tone and playability. The bass that comes to my mind is the Reverend Rumblefish. Let me hear what ya'll think are some of the "lost" classics.
  2. Gibson Ripper/Grabbers
    Gibson Flying V Bass
    Pre-90's Warwicks
    50's Jazz Basses(prototypes, VERY few made)
    Pre-Ernie Ball Musicmans

Thats all I can think off of the top of my head right now.
  3. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Out of my mind, back in 5 minutes! Supporting Member

4. panic_striken

Oct 13, 2005
    Ok, I agree with the Gibson's. Since then Gibson has really lacked in the bass department. Instead of coming up with there own original ideas they have just bought out once great companies like Tobias. The others I have to shoot down because they are still produced in some form or fashion. I know they are not as great as they once were, but they are still being made.
  5. Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Maybe Ibanez's ATK stuff...
  6. panic_striken

Oct 13, 2005
    Definitely Ibanez ATK's. My mind was leaning more to the boutique, and I have forgot about the mainstream producers.
  7. indykrap

Nov 6, 2004
    Musicman Sabre.. I've never played, but I know its discontinued, anything special?
  8. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I had a Sabre and they are nice. I think the new two pup Stingrays fill that niche though. I would agree on ATKS. I also love the original Yamaha BB2000 & 3000. I think the original Japanese made TRs will become collectible too.
  9. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    I wish I was around when these basses were more popular. I'd like to have been there in the 70's and 80's when basses got bigger... lots happened then that I really wish I'd have seen.
  10. MIJ Jazz Special
    MIJ Power Jazz Special
  11. Definitely vote #3 for the Ibanez ATK's.
    Love my ATK 305 - best Bstring I've played on anything under 5 times the price (got it cheap though!)
    My brother's fretless ATK 300 FL makes me wanna cry (or at least to mwah...)
  12. Stox

Mar 18, 2005
    London UK
  13. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

Two of my faves, fortunately I have them.
    G&L L-1000
    G&L SB-1

Reverends (all)

And one that had a chance to become a classic, had it not been virtually stillborn....the Conklin Rocco Prestia Sig. Got one, really fond of it.
  14. Soulbanana

May 7, 2004
    Yamaha BB1500A, BBN5A, Warwick Fortress Flashback.
  15. Yamaha BB3000A. Luckily I've manged to track one down and it will almost certainly be mine in a few days time...:hyper:
  16. pc

Apr 4, 2000
    Montreal QC
    :crying: Reverends
  17. #5 on the ATK's. I played one at a store a while ago that blew me away.

Gibson EB-2, especially the double pup model, the EB-2D. Actually, I wish they would re-issue that with the pups in the SG re-issue and a long scale. that would be smokin'.
  18. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    Ah yes...

Attached Files:

19. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    USA made Peaveys are great basses that have never really gotten their due. I currently own a 1980's Peavey Foundation that is one of the best J-style basses I have ever played. The Peavey USA Millennium basses are wonderful combinations of modern and classic bass features with a level of craftmanship normally found on basses in the $1,500-$3,000 range. I could go and on about USA Peaveys.