Discontinued Color?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Triggerbass, Dec 21, 2005.

1. Triggerbass

Dec 21, 2005
    About a year and a half ago I bought a 4 string MIM Fender Jazz Bass from a chain music store. I was taken back by the low price of this bass. It was brand new and only $280. I asked the kid in the department why it was so cheap. He told me that it was a discontinued color and he too was shocked at the price. From a distance it looks black, get closer and it is a super dark gray with a slight metallic fleck. It also has a special edition decal on the back of the headstock. I took it down and played it to see just how this cheap but very nice looking bass would sound. To my delight, this thing sounded fantastic. It even sounded better than the American hanging right next to it. This has become my #1 bass on the road and in the studio. I have since added a hipshot for quick tuning on the fly. So, my question to you? Can anyone tell me the actual name for the color of this bass. I have never seen it before and I can't find it anywhere on the web. I hope someone out there can help me with this. Thanks.
  2. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Well, if the "chain" store that you purchased the bass from is Guitar Center, then it's probably a custom color that was done just for them. I don't know the name of the color, but I almost bought a MIM Fender P-Bass in that same dark grey color from Guitar Center last summer.
  3. Skeezix

Sep 28, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    If you still have the part number of the Bass, (as you may or may not know) the last three numbers are the color. The price listing .pdf on the Fender web site lists what those colors are. If it is not listed (as mine wasn't) I did a search of the complete part number and got the color off of a Brittish website. Turns out mine is "Shoreline Gold". Go figure.
    Did that make sense?