1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Discontinued Highway 1?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TylerDurdenPSSC, Jan 20, 2012.

1. Alrighty, did I miss something here?!

Did Fender discontinue the Highway 1 basses?!

2. fuzzychaos

fuzzychaos

Mar 17, 2008
    Ohio
    yeah, they did, personally I like the Highway's better than the Specials.

3. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

The Highway 1, technically, was discontinued long ago replaced by the Highway One.

4. Thanks for the replies gentleman.

I am now severely disappointed in Fender.

Downgraded bridge, urethane finish, and what I think is over a $200 price increase?

No thanks.

I've been wanting a Honey Blonde Highway One with a tort guard for a while now... Looks like I now have to go used (which COMPLETELY sucks because of the nitro finish) or custom. (Which is out of my price range.)

What's a poor schmuck like me to do?!

5. gigslut

gigslut

Dec 13, 2011
    St Louis, Mo
    I see Highway Ones listed all over the net, GC, Musicians Friend, zZounds.

6. atomicdog

atomicdog

Jun 18, 2011
    The American Special is quite fine, a better bass that the Hwy. One, I think.

REPOST: I'm vacillating on that opinion. Tried a couple of AM Sp last week and while I liked them, they're not very versatile. For a nice midtone, they're good. I can see owning one, but not as my main bass. I have my eye on a Hwy 1 that is far superior.

7. packhowitzer

packhowitzer 155mm of pure destruction

Apr 20, 2011
    Atlanta
    The bass in the middle is my 09 Highway One P. The rosewood neck on the SB p on the right was the original. That middle bass is now my main bass and I love everything about it-- except the nitro finish. It chips very easily. I take pretty good care of my gear and I've already got some issues on the back of it. I'm not against an instrument showing some wear with age, but I think Fender was trying to get the bass to age in an artificially fast way. OTOH, I get lots of compliments on the unusual flat finish.
    This bass plays like a dream, and sounds great for the money. Just be aware of what you;re getting into with the finish. Good luck!

Attached Files:

8. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    My Highway One has become my main squeeze. My MiA is my recording bass, but I can beat the crap out of the Highway One and know it'll only make it look better.

If you can snag one, do it!

9. I love the Highway One series BECAUSE of the nitro finish. (and the Badass bridge, Greasebucket, and price point.)

I think they were trying to tap into the appeal of vintage and properly mojo'd guitars, and I think they hit the nail square on the head. (Unlike with the Road Worn series... I'm just not into "false-mojination.")

There's not a doubt in my head that its replacement is a better all-around axe, its just not for me, thazall.

If I can manage to scrounge up a Honey Blonde when I can swing the bucks, I definitely will.

If not, I'll go with the 70's Precision, or a 50's Precision, and just make the proper adjustments. (Badass, guard, etc.)

10. I'll say it again too...

I can't swing the cash for one right now.

But thank you.

11. packhowitzer

packhowitzer 155mm of pure destruction

Apr 20, 2011
    Atlanta
    I'm glad the finish is your thing. I play my bass in a shiny looking church band most of the time and honestly, in my case, looks matter. I think the aging process on a honey blonde highway one would look amazing though. The black just shows every little thing. But like I said, i do get lots of compliments on it, and I don't plan on changing it.

Now if you go for a '70s p as a replacement, you can't go wrong. If the '70s p had come in black with the BB maple neck I wouldn't have changed a thing. I didn't think I could find a neck that fit my hand better than the highway one. I'm just not really a rosewood guy on a black bass for asthetic reasons, but I can't hear a difference in a band setting so I played it with gusto. But then the 70s p came along and and I saw that neck and couldn't pass it up (even though it wasn't REALLY in the budget at the time).

Thank goodness I bought it. The neck is even better to me than the original H1. As you can see from the pic above, the RW neck is now on the SB '70s p body (which now has a tort PG and ashtrays for a vintage look), and the maple BB neck is on the H1 body so it matches its fraternal twin, my 08 Geddly Lee.

If you can't find the H1 you want, the 70s p is a more than worthy substitute IMO. I'm with you on the BA2, I love the shiny look and chunky feel under my hand. I'm not sure I can hear any difference, but I love the look.

The Geddy Lee has a stellartone tonestyler in it which I love. I may put one in the H1. I don't have the dislike for the greasebucket that many here do, but it is not very distinctive to me either.

YMMV.

12. I've been ogeling that StellarTone on bestbassgear for a few years now, always wondered how well it worked.

Not sure if I'd ever put it to use though... My favorite tone is a Fender P through vintage Ampeg set flat (w/ the exception of the bass sitting between noon and one.) with the gain cranked through 10's.

Now even Rachel Ray admits that's yum-o.

How noticeable is the tone difference between the Highway One and the 70's Precision? My ear isn't 20+ years trained, and I'm not even sure if I could tell a difference. (I've never touched let alone played a 70's P.)

13. gigslut

gigslut

Dec 13, 2011
    St Louis, Mo

My point is; they are still available, why is everybody talking about their "replacements"?

14. Because they're no longer in production. Check Fender's website. What's available on the net are leftover Midnight Wine and 3TS pieces, and that's it. Black and Honey Blonde are long gone.

15. Have always wanted a Highway One, but the finish has always kind of scared me away. Is this the kind of thing that'll be completely worn away in 10 years?

16. Nitro/laqeur is the "old" way of finishing guitars. Some spots will wear, others won't.

More common than not, you see "stand rash" and thumb/forearm prints glossed into the body. (This is where your skin makes contact with the wood when playing.)

It IS possible to rub the finish completely away after a few hundred shows if you're an aggressive player who sweats.

Look at some Stevie Ray's or Eric Clapton's strats. You'all notice the areas I'm talking about immediately.

The whole relic'ing phenomenon that started some odd years ago was based on the fundamentals of what a guitar would look like after being "well played" say, fifty years from now.