Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Discontinued Peavey amps?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by GeorgiaHonk, May 4, 2004.

1. Hi all. I've been shopping for a new amp, and have fairly well decided on Peavey's new 450 Max head. I'm in the group that actually likes the tone of Peavey's bass amps, and it fits the needs of my required features list as well as my budgetary constraints. Speaking of budgetary constraints, I had called a number of local stores to check on their price for this particular head and predictably most were in the same ballpark. But I found one place, and not a fly-by-night dealer or pawnshop either, who was already "blowing out" this head. The salesdood even mentioned something on the phone about this amp being discontinued. Any word of this? If it's true, it's the first I've heard. I was under the impression that the "Max" series was the new kid on the block, as it were.

Anyway, I'm going to drop by their store on the way home and check this out for myself. Their price is so much lower than the other quotes I've gotten that I'm planning on buying it tonight if it all checks out. Are there any maintenance or service or other issues I should be aware of it it turns out that this model IS being discontinued? I'm not trying to start a nasty rumor, and if anyone here can set me straight I'd certainly appreciate it.

Honk

2. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    I highly doubt theyll discontinue it, the MAX series has just replaced the Deltabass/Nitrobass/Firebass series they had going.

In fact, many places over here (jolly old UK) still have the 'bass' series, and havent even recieved the first MAX shipment.

Jack

3. they may well have it advertised as a max 450 head when it is actually the nitrobass. but to my knowledge we have absolutley no intention of discontinuing the line.

robb.

4. "Yep, you better buy it now. Haven't you heard? Oh, yeah...they're discontinuing it!" Some salespeople use that routine all the time. I doubt they're discontinuing it.

5. LarryO

LarryO

Apr 4, 2004
    If you can find a nitrobass, buy it. It is the same amp as the max 450, it's only cosmeticly different but still a great amp. Since Peavy discontinued the Nitrobass and started selling the max 450 all the store dropped their prices on the nitrobass amps. I picked up a nitrobass head and a 210TVX cab for $450. Still new and under warranty. Call around. It's worth it