Discontinued RM C112-220 is it Good for starters?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BES, Mar 28, 2018.

1. BES

BES

Mar 27, 2018
    Vancouver, B.C.
    Hi everyone!
    I'm taking back my passion for bass and re-learning all about it, I got my self a Godin shifter 4 soapbar pickups, and haven't had a chance to listen to this baby cause I don't have an amp yet , but here at one of my local stores (tom Lee) I found an Ashdown RM 220 1x12' at a really good price ($200 cad)
    That apparently is a discontinued model.
    So mi main question is if this would be a good amplifier to get me started with home practice and for future band practices and gigs.
    Here is a link with the info about this amp
    RM C112-220
    Thanks for sharing your knowledge!

2. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    That combo is an excellent choice for home practice, but depending how loud your band is might be a bit shy in the power department. At minimum you will probably want to add an extension speaker to increase your total output, and Ashdown did make one to complement the combo, although you could use any 8 ohm cabinet.
    Ashdown Rootmaster RMCAB112T - 300W 1x12" Extension Cabinet

I know nothing of the Canadian market, but if that was $200 USD it might be reasonable, depending on condition.

BES likes this.
  3. BES

BES

Mar 27, 2018
    Vancouver, B.C.
    Thanks I guess is a good option for a tight budget, I found a second hand
    Trace Elliot GP-7SM 130 7Band series bass pre amp
    And a Traynor SB 112 bass amp both for $250 (American) each.
    So I'm in a dilemma cause I haven't find very much info about the trace elliot besides is English as well and the traynor looks like a recognize Canadian brand

4. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    Trace Elliot is a British brand that has lots of supporters here on TB. The model you mention is a bit of an oddball as far as their cabinet goes, but aside from its weight gets a hearty thumbs up on this forum. It is an older model with a lower rated output than the Ashdown, and it appears that you could add an 8 ohm extension speaker.

Traynor is a well-respected brand from Canada. The SB112 is a current model combo, but unlike the Ashdown you won't be able to add an extension cabinet to it, as the built-in speaker is at 4 ohms and takes all the amp can dish out. It is the most lightweight of the three combos you've listed so far, and does get good reviews here on TB.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of these three choices, and the pricing seems reasonable. You really need to try them and then decide which one you like the most. Good luck and keep us posted!

BES likes this.
  5. BES

BES

Mar 27, 2018
    Vancouver, B.C.
    Thanks a lot this is the disclosure of the info that I need to see te amps the way they are, I will try to try the 3 of them but so far I think I will Chios the Ashdown. I'll let you know!

6. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

Take your bass to the store and try everything you see there. Buy what you like best.

We live in a big ass country - be more specific in your location. Filling out your profile make it easier to help you.

BadExample likes this.
  7. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

For a starter a nice Shrimp cocktail is always a good choice. :)

BadExample likes this.
  8. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    @BassmanPaul I think you've been using your Acmes as headphones for too long!

Haroldo and BassmanPaul like this.
  9. BES

BES

Mar 27, 2018
    Vancouver, B.C.
    Yeah is a big wide country but really I give enough info to be helped. In fact I being helped by @abarson already thanks for the tips Paul.

10. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    OP, @BassmanPaul can be a bit freewheeling, but his valid point is that we want to help other bass players. By knowing in what part of the world you you reside might help to point you in the direction of valuable resources near you, maybe stores or other players with equipment you're curious about.

BassmanPaul likes this.
  11. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

Quebec? :)

12. BES

BES

Mar 27, 2018
    Vancouver, B.C.
    Vancouver

13. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

That wasn’t too hard now was it? LOL

Happy Easter. :)

14. BES

BES

Mar 27, 2018
    Vancouver, B.C.
    Not at all! Thanks everyone I when for the ashdown still working on finding all the sounds I can combine with my Godin

15. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

A nice Canadian bass. I approve! :D