Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

discourage me from URB

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by markr, Mar 1, 2002.

1. markr

markr

Mar 1, 2002
    SF
    Have been a bone & guitar player, and in keeping with a mid-life crisis, want to chuck bone (which I play best, improv, etc) for either guitar or URB. Every sane musician has made clear to me that URB is a "mother", that it takes fanatical devotion and a certain masochism...but I love its sound the best of all instruments. I love the sound of Charlie Haden playing a duet with Pat Matheny, and think I would be happy slowly learning, playing simply, etc.

However, it sounds treacherously like trombone, in its physicality, the need for daily playing, all those hurdles. It even is a bit bone-like in intonation. It sounds less irritating to family & neighbors (or am I wrong here?) I can play bass lines on the electric, but know its nothing like The Dark Side.

What kind of personality tends to succeed on URB?
    What are my chances, & the hurdles? Any teachers in SF to recommend?

2. Tim Ludlam

Tim Ludlam

Dec 19, 1999
    Carmel, IN
    MAGIC MARKER

Since you have some experience on the guitar, you do have a bit of a head start. Since the tuning is the same as the four bass strings on a six string guitar, you should have some scale familiarity. Your experience with the bone and improvisation will no doubt be an asset.

Find a bass with a good set-up that you can rent or borrow. Next find a good teacher. Preferrably one that has been classically trained, not necessarily a classical player. Contact the SF Symphony Orchestra to see if they could set you up with a teacher, or check out Ifshin (sp?) Violins over in Palo Alto, they might be able to direct you.

I bet after about a month, you'll be hooked. Let it happen.

P.S. Also, get a bow to practice with regardless if your intentions are to only play jazz. It will help tremendously with intonation.

Finally, DON'T EVER COMPARE A BASS TO A TROMBONE!!!!!!!!!!!

3. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    "Like the trombone," the bass is a Manually Operated Variable Pitch-Approximator.

You know the definition of an optimist: A trombone player with a beeper. Here's a guy who wants to switch from the proverbial Last One Called to second call.

4. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Lock the slide before you chuck the bone. We don't want any accidents!

But, seriously, why chuck anything?

5. Q. How do you know there's a trombone player at your door?

A. His shirt says "Domino's"

6. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Q: How do you get a trombone player off your porch.
    A:pay him for the pizza.

Q: Why do trombonists get worse gas milage from their cars than anyone else?
    A: The Domino's signs are terrible, aerodynamically.

7. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Q: What's the difference between a dead snake in the road, and a dead trombone player?

A: You'll find skid marks in front of the snake.

Q: How many trombone players does it take to change a lightbulb?

A: None. (Think about it...this one's DEEP)

8. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Typing through tears am I.

9. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    HARPO MARKR,

All kidding aside, I would never try to talk someone out of ANY instrument, let alone DB. It's one of those things where if you fall in love with it, you'll put up with all of the BS that goes along with it. I'm guessing that everyone is making obnoxious jokes because SLIM LUGNUT'S response was right on the money. Believe me - on this board, if anyone had disagreed with what he wrote, you'd have heard about it by now.

Welcome to talkbass.

Sincerely,

MISS TITSJIGGLED

10. markr

markr

Mar 1, 2002
    SF
    Whats the difference between a dead squirrel in the road & a dead trombonist in the road? The squirrel might have been on his way to a gig.
    Thanks for the info/humiliation!

11. Well this question has been answered. ;)

12. Tim Ludlam

Tim Ludlam

Dec 19, 1999
    Carmel, IN
    MARKR de SADE

See, it appears you fit right in with the personality. We do encourage all beginning bassist to undergo a Briggs-Myers evaluation. Get back to us with your results.

BTW, I am INTJ.

13. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

INFP here.

And isn't the Talkbass version of the test called BRONSON-MYERS?

14. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Briggs & Stratton test? Is that where we have some sweaty guy pull our rope and curse for an hour or so in the spring? Never mind. I don't want to know.

15. Tim,
    I thought it was called the Bristol Meyers test. You know, if you don't pass it the first time they keep giving you miracle drugs until you get it right or you die from the side effects....which ever comes first.
    Mark

16. Tim Ludlam

Tim Ludlam

Dec 19, 1999
    Carmel, IN
    Mark, you are correct. Those drugs do pay the bills though.

CHRIS FISTS GERALD -- OUCH!

Isn't INFP the profile of some of the great classical composers? Not a bad class to be in, huh?

If I'm not mistaken, I fit into the same profile as Son of Sam. What an honor.

17. I say go for it. I picked up the bass a little over three years ago and now I'm getting paid to play.

ANNOUNCEMENT
    Mark Parsons is now the bass section of the Gilbert and Sullivan Theater Group pit orchestra.

Being paid $17 per rehearsal and performance, I think I will keep my day job.

18. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

If it helps, it doesn't show. :cool: Of course, I've never seen your basement or your backyard. Where is Carmel, anyway? How far from LOU OVAL are you?

My wife is an INFJ, BTW....and the "J" explains a lot. Man, I feel like we're discussing Morse Code or something.

19. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    It just occurred to me that this thread never really had anything to do with Technique. Off to MISC....

20. markr

markr

Mar 1, 2002
    SF
    I'm an INFJ (only somewhat F'd up though). I might have expected bassists to be I, but I'm surprised you're mostly N's, because I thought you were all S's. (That sounds wrong.) But seriously, you know what I mean? S as in sensate, attuned to the senses, artisan.

I've got a good book on this called "Please Understand Me", by Keirsey & Bates. Why do I feel there is a punchline in all of this that I'm missing?!