1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Discouraging pawnshop find...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rocinante_x1, Sep 8, 2008.

1. Rocinante_x1

Rocinante_x1 Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    Washington State
    So, I was browsing a local pawnshop today, and they didn't have much in the way of instruments... they had the usual crap, however, they did have a nice Fretless MIM Jazz in Chrome red, i didn't look at the serial number, so i don't know what year it was. it was in purdy good condition, the board was nice and smooth, but it was missing the D string... The only problem i had with it, was... THEY WANTED $399 for it... Now, i know that MIM jazzes are $449 brand new, so.... $399 is MUCH too high for a used pawnshop bass.... someone in the pawnshop didn't know what they were doing... It bothers me that some poor unwise unsuspecting hopeful is going to go into that shop, look at it and say, " Oh! Look. its a fender its so nice too! OH! only 400 bucks. This must be a good deal since its a pawnshop..." and they're gonna go and buy the damn thing and be ripped off.... What do you guys make of that?
    I was pretty pissed when i saw that pricetag, i'm not gonna lie...

2. nickn

nickn

Oct 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    That's pawn shops for you. Most pawn shops nowadays are internet-savvy, and they will use eBay and such to check the value of anything that they receive. I've found that the best deals are found at...

a) Shops where the owner doesn't know much about basses
    b) Little hole-in-the-wall places that don't necessarily use the internet to price basses.

Both of those are becoming more and more rare. One day this spring I went pawn shop hunting with my uncle and dad. We must have hit 6-7 different pawn shops. The shops that looked nice, professional, and squared away were consistently the ones that had the highest prices. The one pawn shop that actually had some really good deals was a little hole in the wall place you wouldn't even know was there if you weren't looking, because it faced away from the street it was on.

3. Jefenator

Jefenator Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    I once took in a Hartke 2x10 cab that started life as a combo before I sawed off the head portion and stapled the carpet over the cuts. It was a real hideous thing - looked terrible, sounded worse. I felt guilty for getting $20 for it.

...until I saw it a few months later, priced at $300+ :eek:

It sat there for a very long time. :p

Definitely buyer beware in the pawn shops. I see all kinds of obsolete junk marked up way too high.

If you really want that bass, try offering them $150! :D

4. Rocinante_x1

Rocinante_x1 Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    Washington State
    Nawww, i didnt want it. I have no need or want for a fretless J. But The thing that got me was how unfair the pricing was and someone who doesnt know what theyre looking for is gonna be cheated.

5. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    With the internet being so accessible (at least, accessible to anyone who can spend $400 on a bass), you must be stupid to get cheated like that.

Treat it as a stupid tax.

6. Jefenator

Jefenator Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    Part of the fun of pawn shops is you get to haggle. You should never pay the asking price for anything unless you happen to know it really is a good deal. If someone doesn't know this, they need to learn and what better way than the hard way? :ninja:

7. vinestreet

vinestreet

Aug 17, 2008
    Singapore
    well...buyer beware. And haggle. And do your own google research. And if by then the bass is not there anymore, it's not meant to be.

8. Spiritfield

Spiritfield Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2004
    Jawja
    Personally I don't have a problem with the price. It's a free market economy- the market will dictate the price. If he has it priced unrealistically then it won't sell and he'll adjust the price until it does. If someone pays his price then they have either found the bass to be worth what he's asking. If someone jumps in without doing their research that's their fault - not his.

The owner has to make money to stay in business, feed his family, pay rent/insurance, pay his employees so they can feed their families, and on and on. Doesn't bother me in the least. HAggle is spoken at every pawn shop I've been in. Oh, and bring cash...

9. The Hammer

The Hammer

Jul 13, 2004
    I lived in Nashville from '66 to '84 and the Pawn Shops and classified ads were a goldmine for finding great gear cheap as long as it wasn't Fender, Gibson or Martin. I used to buy and sell all of the Japanese pre-lawsuit basses and guitars which were better built than the stuff that Gibson and Fender were producing at the time.

10. 3toes

3toes

Aug 30, 2006
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    It's just like ebay now... it's almost impossible to get good deals anymore.