Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Discovered the Coolest Tone Tonight

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by alembicbones, Aug 28, 2002.

1. alembicbones

alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    I think this thread could have been put in a few different places but here goes.

I recently purchased an Alembic Series II 5 string and it's easily the most incredible bass I've ever played. One of it's features is the ability to split the signal between the two pickups and send a stereo signal. However, so far I've only been running it in mono, but have wanted to play around with its stereo capabilities.

Currently I have an F-1X, an SF-2, a Stewart World 1.2, an Eden D 410-T and an Eden D410 XLT. Prior to purchasing the Series, to achieve a stereo effect, I've been spliting the mono signal from the F-1X with a Y cable to either side of the SF-2, then to each side of the power amp, then to the two cabs. With the tone shaping capabilities of the individual filters on the SF-2, I can get radically different tones going to each cab. I like the tone flexibility, and works very well on a mono bass, but it really doesn't take advantage of the Series II. Thus, I thought I was in the market for another preamp.

Tonight I was plunking around on my instruments after the kid went down, one of which included my, shh, guitar. To amplify this instrument, I recently picked up a used Fender Princeton Chorus. After I put down the guitar and picked up my Series II, it dawned on me, the other preamp I was looking for was right under my nose. Furthermore, it had a very cool chorus, reverb, and gain channel, and was connected to a power amp that drives 2 10" speakers. I decided to hook the bridge pickup into the guitar amp and send the neck pickup into my bass amp system listed above.

When I fired up the whole system I was amazed. The nice smooth bass tones that came from my bass rig blended wonderfully with the chorused highs coming from the Princeton. I went further to shape the neck pickup signal with my faux stereo I was doing before. This gave me an additional cleaner, mellow high frequency tone to mix with the other,effected high frequency tone. I got to tell you, it ws a lot of fun to mess around with and it's going to be cool experimenting with the different configurations in the future.

Now I truly understand the reason why Alembic afficianados, myself included, dig the Series instruments. I know I will never be without one.

Happy Bassin'
    Bones

2. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    Glad to hear that someone's into their gear. Have fun with all the new tonal variety you have at your fingertips.

:D