1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Discovery Launch

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Mole, Dec 9, 2006.

1. Mole

Mole

Jul 7, 2005
    Well, I see that no one has made a thread about the shuttle launch, so I'll make it. The Discovery Shuttle launched, and it's a pretty big mission. I hope they return safely.

2. I'm a tour guide for the Johnson Space Center, and security promptly kicked my ass out of Mission Control in preparation for the launch. (Typically 3 hours before and 3 hours after the launch no one is allowed anywhere close to the mission control room).

I got some cool pictures of them preparing mission control on my camera phone - dunno how to get them on the pc though. If I figure it out, I'll post them here.

3. Dean N

Dean N

Jul 4, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Space exploration is a great thing. Those guys can have my tax dollars any day. I forgot about the launch.

4. Kibuddy

Kibuddy

Apr 30, 2005
    I'm glad they managed to get the flight off the ground.

Working for NASA is my dream job.

5. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    What's the mission going to be about?

6. Mole

Mole

Jul 7, 2005
    They're going to attach the P5 Truss, the ISS's third port truss segment, bring someone up (to stay for a while) and bring someone who's already up there down, launch the third of three "SPHERES" testbeds to the ISS, do a major rewiring of the ISS's electrical system to get ready for some solar energy stuff, and some other stuff. So it's pretty important.

7. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    what

8. Mole

Mole

Jul 7, 2005
    Just look it up. I can't explain the entire mission (which I really don't know that much about anyway) in one post. :p

9. Loel

Loel Blazin' Acadian

Oct 31, 2004
    On a side note today they discovered water on mars
    from pics the prob is sending back,
    now thats going to be an interesting development

EB/

10. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    First_Picture_of_Water_on_Mars.

11. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    haha, genius

12. Mole

Mole

Jul 7, 2005
    They think that while it could be where water flows every once in a while, it could just be stuff like sand moving to where it looks like water. I hope it's water, though.

13. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
  14. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    For those of us who have a vested interested in keeping the market value of waterfront real estate high, water on Mars is NOT a good thing.

15. I didn't know the Shuttle was going off last night, and I went for a walk, turned to left, and had such an awesome view of it.

P.S. - when you don't know it's a shuttle taking off, it kinda looks like someone launched a missile somewhere - I kinda froze for a sec, there:)

16. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    Hope the station turns out to be infested by aliens that devour them all and then we are all DOOOOMED!
    Im tired..

17. My parents and I saw it while driving home. It was like a huge ball of fire in the dark sky. Very beautiful.