Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Discovery of the toxin ricin in the UK

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Gia, Jan 8, 2003.

1. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    I'm sure TB's English and European members will have heard on the news about the discovery of the deadly toxin Ricin in a North London flat on Sunday. The police arrested 6 suspects on Sunday and another one today but they think two are still at large.
    ( Ricin threat )

"Just a tiny amount of ricin is enough to kill.
    Seventy micrograms or two millionths of an ounce is enough to kill an adult, roughly the equivalent to the weight of a single grain of salt.
    Per gram, it is 6,000 times more poisonous than cyanide.
    Ricin is a toxic material which can be fatal when inhaled, ingested or - most dangerously - injected.
    It is easily produced, and can be extracted from the beans of the castor oil plant.
    It can damage the organs, and a combination of pulmonary, liver, renal and immunological failure can lead to death, although people can recover from exposure."

Apparantly, just wiping a trace of ricin on ticket barriers at stations would kill the next people to go through the barriers because they would pick it up on their hands and then ingest the ricin next time they put their hands near their mouths to eat a sandwich or something.
    I live in London and use public transport everyday so I'm quite worried about the threat if what the police say is true, and people with the capabilities to do this are still 'at large'.
    The police haven't told the public the amount of the poison they found, or if there is a significant threat to the public.

Has this been reported on the news in the US ?
    And are any other UK members concerned about it ?

xx

2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    It's headline news here...

The thing that worries me is the "traces" part. Where's the rest?

3. i know what you mean about the "traces" thing.

did they find traces of it in the carpet?
    in some sort of container? and if so where's the rest?

how much did they find. enough to start a serious terrorist attack or just enough to kill one person?

why wont they give us more info?

l8rz

Tom

4. superfreak

superfreak Unregistered

Aug 18, 2002
    Clarksville, TN
    Man, not cool at all. Thats all the radio station here is talking about...It's scary when you think about it. I haven't heard any new developments though...Keep us posted.

5. last winter a small plane went by and a bunch of white stuff fell to the ground. they closed off part of clarksville and we had to shut down our heating and all. they thought it was a powdery agent that kills. turned out one small plane and one helicopter went over that area at the same time and the helicopter picked up ashes in the sky from a burning house and spread it accidently. what a scary thing. they also talk about a substance being put on envelopes here that can kill, in envelopes and all. some sickos here in the states will just sent something with white powder in it. they close the business down and it turns out to be nothing. i am worried one of these days it will happen, be the real thing, and bam, no one paid attention this time. we did have people get seriously ill in the states at one area, can not remember where, due to a powdery substance, lost lives to it. the world is a crazy thing. :(

6. There hasn't actually been a lot of news about it concidering it was front page and prime time material for every major newspaper and news report in the UK. Most likely because the government doesn't want to tell us incase we freak out, so indirectly they're helping prevent terrorism i guess.

I wouldn't worry about it though Angel. As a wise old chinese man once told me: If a problem can be solved, why worry. If a problem cannot be solved, what's the point in worrying?