1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Discrepancy between what you like to LISTEN and like to PLAY?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Felken, Nov 6, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Felken

Felken

Jun 28, 2016
    Ottawa, CAN
    First of all, I'd like to say hi. Some of you might remember me, I was fairly active on TB around a year or two ago, but I kinda faded out. Life got in the way, and I guess I just forgot about TB for a while. But now I'm back, and I'll keep popping in and out from time to time.

Since I left talkbass I grew a beard, got a full time job in my field, formed a metal band, lost my full time job, lost my metal band, went back to university, got a fretless bass, got another job and formed a jazz fusion band! That leads me to my question...

Is there a difference between what you mainly play (or would like to) and what you like to listen?

I've found for me the answer is yes. I still listen to progressive rock and metal 80% of the time, but ever since I started playing in that jazz band, I've discovered just how much I love playing in that genre.

I like both genres, but I even though I listen to prog most of the time, I enjoy playing jazz a lot more.

So! What about you guys?

2. TheDirtyLowDown

TheDirtyLowDown

Mar 8, 2014
    Welcome back! Have fun with the fretless!

I listen to a far wider range of music than I play. The music I practice and play
    is primarily a function of the bands I'm currently in; one that's funk/blues/jazz,
    one that's country, and a standards jazz trio. My listening is all over the spectrum
    and is never really stable. Lately I'm listening to a lot of classical music, but ask again
    in a few months and it'll be something different. As a listener I feel free to follow my
    whims, and let them lead me anywhere. As a player, I don't have that luxury.

3. biguglyman

biguglyman

Jul 27, 2017
    Rochester, NY
    I play a crap-ton of classic rock, mostly 60's and 70's. Most of the bands I've been in over the years are that genre and I do enjoy listening to it. However, I have to say my favorite genre to listen to is progressive/art rock. Everything from ELP and Yes to Spock's Beard and Porcupine Tree. I guess I like listening to stuff I can't play...:headphone:

4. dramatwist

dramatwist

Sep 27, 2019
    Welcome back, man. I love Jazz, and listen to it constantly in the truck... I just don't have the chops to play it.

Artman, LoTone, bassliner50 and 3 others like this.
  5. Lowend65

Lowend65 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2006
    San Jose, CA
    I love listening to metal, especially Pantera, and have no interest in playing it.
    Just not interested in trying to replicate it

6. Oddly

Oddly Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    Welcome back, Felken!
    Happy to read you're still playing music you love, even if it's not all the time.
    Also glad to hear you've got a job, and a beard!

Musically, I listen to almost anything, except metal, prog and jazz!
    Not being a gigging musician, I have the luxury of not HAVING to play any genre.

jamro217 and Felken like this.
  7. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton My P doesn’t have flats or tort Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    I mainly play a lot of pop/hip hop (top 40s stuff).

I listen to mostly rock.

jamro217, Element Zero and Felken like this.
  8. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

i play jazz, mostly, with some kick-a$$ players. lately, though, i've been enjoying listening to some alpine/cowboy yodeling. i kid you not! :D

dr doofie, jamro217 and RyanOh like this.
  9. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    Hi @Felken, yep sometimes life gets in the way of our passions or hobbies, but I'm glad to 'see you' back around and bassing it up again :)

Great question! I do think about this from time to time. Yesterday it occurred to me again how much I like playing lines that bounce, swing, and slide a bunch more than the stuff I get the most satisfaction out of listening to which... mostly involves a lot of repetative downstroke 8ths. Sometimes I get in the zone and really dig doing it, but practicing without the other instruments is sometimes difficult to motivate myself to do, so I'll often end up noodling for longer than I should or just playing w pedals.

10. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I listen to lots of musical styles but I really only play in one, what is now called "roots" or "Americana"...blues, country, folk.

In addition to the kind of stuff that I play, I listen to a lot of jazz, some classical and because it was the music of my youth rock of all sorts from the 60s to the early 80s. But I do not have the skills to play jazz or classical and other than a 2 year stint in a top 40 cover band, I have never played in a rock band.

I'm still not sure after 40 years whether not focusing my listening only on the type of music I do play has hurt me. Would I be a better blues bassist today if I had spent all that time transcibing Willie Dixon, Johnny Gayden and Jack Myers? Or am I a better bassist becasue I have heard a wider variety of music?

jamro217 likes this.
  11. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    In a real sense, I like to both listen to and play all kinds of music other than metal and rap. My favorite to play has always been funk, soul and R&B with HORNS. Unfortunately, putting a horn band together it tough in my area.

12. DrMole

DrMole Supporting Member

All music listened to can inform and improve your playing in other styles. However, one should have, at least at some point, listened and practiced intensely in the style one plays.

I cannot and will not claim to be a reggae/ska/dub bassist but my 3-year period of almost exclusively listening and absorbing these styles 25 years ago still would allow me to consider such a gig- with a few months binge listening and woodshedding- were that gig on the table. Oh, and also if I ever become a real bassist.:D

13. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    I wouldn't call it a discrepancy. I listen to a lot of different types of music. I play in an Americana band where we do Rockabilly, Country, Rock and Roll, Blues, Jazz, Motown and Classic Rock. I'm currently listening to a lot of Jump Blues. Why limit yourself?

14. S.F.Sorrow

S.F.Sorrow

Dec 6, 2014
    Yes, definitely! Mostly listen to classical but can't play any orchestral instruments beyond beginner level.

Mostly play prog(ish) rock but like doing lots of different stuff.

dkelley, jamro217 and Helix like this.
  15. LowRick

LowRick

Mar 24, 2019
    Garrelsweer
    I listen to a way wider variety of music than what i play. Of course, one influences the other though. Just re-discovered What Is Hip and absolutly love the bass-line. Not there yet but it's nice to set a goal :)

Also listen a lot of New Mastersounds and those bass lines are just way out of my league. Probably why i love to listen to it.

Mind you, the above is about what i play at home. In one band i play blues, which imho is awesome, in the other band i play church music, which has it's charms too. But both are only a small part of the music i like and listen to.

ObsessiveArcher likes this.
  16. I love listening to Metal (think Mudvayne, Slayer, Trivium, Mastodon, High on Fire, etc); but I would much rather play an Elton John, Journey, Bob Seger or Chic bassline.

Curtbass, Felken and DrMole like this.
  17. Huw Phillips

Huw Phillips Life is like TV if the channel sucks change it Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2019
    Hoboken
    I find this very true I listen to a very mixed bag of music but don’t listen to jazz or country and Motown but find myself drawn to these playing.
    Good to shake up your life a bit variety is the spice of life.

DrMole likes this.
  18. When it comes to me playing EB or DB with other musicians, I've played almost exclusively jazz for the last 20+ years. ...Except one jazz/standards band that kept a classic-rock/disco set always ready for wet wedding receptions / wealthy-folks' garden parties and the like. I never listen to jazz at home or in the car. Maybe the occasional YouTube video a bandmate might send. I seldom go see live music, if I do, it's big, up, and might be jazz-ish.

For enjoyment I listen to Classic Rock, Classic Country, and some Frank / Dean era stuff.

19. Helix

Helix California U.S.A.

May 29, 2015
    I've played in Rock Bands, Metal Bands, Psychobilly Bands and currently play in a Hardcore Band......but I love and regularly attend the Symphony and mostly anything with Orchestrated music

I say enjoy it all :)

20190518_205850.

20. I listen to mostly Bossa Nova, Jazz and more Chill/Downtempo type stuff at work all day, and news radio in the car. I play Blues, Americana and some Rock, but only listen to the songs I need to learn. I will admot that I do try to steal from Bossa/Jazz whenever it fits...

bassliner50 and Felken like this.