1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Discribe the inherent tone of an Ibanez BTB 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by markob, Apr 22, 2015.

1. markob

markob

Mar 2, 2010
    North Cali
    Looking for a cheapish 5 string. Found a 2002 Korean made BTB. Don't know the model. Maybe 405?? Have not seen in person yet. Price is 300 w/ nice case. Never have played nor heard this model. Please describe the tone. From what I've read here they're 35" w/ nice wide-ish string spacing. Any info welcomed.

2. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Supporting Member

The tone was always too hi-fi for me. I owned the BTB405 twice, in different colors. I didn't like the Ibanez EQ equipped on either of them. At the time, though, I was playing in an Americana/ Alt-rock band, so I found a P bass was just right for that style, tone-wise. Positives were the 19mm string spacing at the bridge, a slightly-fatter-than-usual Ibanez neck (a little deeper front to back compared to a Ibanez SR neck). They're a bit heavy, but not as much as my T-40. Great for modern styles, perfect for metal, hard-rock, slap.

What kind of tone are you interested in for a cheap 5?

3. markob

markob

Mar 2, 2010
    North Cali
    Thanks Empty. Great points. I'm covered for the stuff I mainly do. Alt country/Acoustic trio and Power pop stuff. W/ LB-100 and L2000. I do worship too and my current can handle that also but I'd like to actually spend a little time woodshedding w/ a 5 string. Had a Carvin years ago but the tight string spacing was not to my liking and I flipped it. A 5 would likely be integrated into the worship gig if I could get my chops up to snuff. So a modernish tone would be desired or at least ok:)

4. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Supporting Member

I think the BTB will do all those things very well.