Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

discrimination

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jrthebassguy, Mar 18, 2004.

1. Without trying to get this political or anything, I need to rant a little.

I had a job interview yesterday, and everything went great. The interviewer liked me and all, and seemed to like my answers to her questions. Then at the end of the interview she said something to the effect of:

"You'd be a great here and I want to hire you, but I won't because of your hair."

Whatever happened to hiring someone based on merit and actions? Apparently this is not the practice of space center houston (aka the touristy part of NASA). :meh:

I am extremely offended that because despite me being qualified for my position, I have to be judged by my appearance, not by what I do.

Maybe I would understand if I had hair down to my shoulder or something, but its barely past my ears!

To me this is no better than discriminating by ethinicity or any other reason for denying employment.

:meh:

2. You may have a case, but appearance is big in this day and age, especially if the job requires people skills. She might have a point about the hair.

3. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Did you ask her whether you could cut your hair and get the job?

Face it, you will be discriminated against in your life, its not nice, but it happens - at least you can cut your hair ;)

4. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    If you want the job that bad, cut the hair.

5. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Can I ask what kind of position it is? Is it a public service position? It may not be a particular prejudice with the interviewer, but they may be looking at it from a business stand point. If you are a clerk, customers may have prejudices with a certain apperance. (I know, people are stupid and can't be moral libertarians, but hey, what are you going to do?) The interviewer may look at that as a business liability. Unfortunately, a job interview is one of the times you have to conform. If I were an owner of a family restaurant and you walked in with green hair, I doubt I would hire you. Not because I'm anti-green hair (I think crazy colored hair is cool) but because it could be bad for business. (besides, I don't know what it is about your hair she didn't like :D )

But I'm rather cynical about human resources people. That partly comes from me living in a place with an unemployment rate is 2% higher than the entire nation's. (getting a job at Wal-mart is competitve) They can be as picky as they want to here. If they don't hire you, it's because of nepotism, if it's not nepotism, it's ageism, if it's not ageism it's racism, if it's not racism it's because you're over-qualified, if it's not because you're over-qualified, it's because you're under-qualified, if it's not because your under-qualified, it's because you don't have enought experience, ect. My best advice is to become self-employed if you can. It is a lot of headaches with book keeping and taxes, but if you fail, it's your own damn fault for not being a savvy business person, not because some human resources person didn't hire you for some asinine reason. I'm sure you have some kind of skill that you could offer to the public; find a way to make cash from it.

6. tell her she's a bloody c*********(rhymes with mapitalist) hah. my hair is long(8 inches past the shoulder). im not going to cut it for no one-thats my human r*****(rhymes light). i refuse to take drugs tests(whether clean or dirty) there also agaisn't my human r*****(rhymes lights). . i say, hey man i'm letting you e*****(rhymes with loit) my l****(rhymes with harbor), at least you can do is leave my leisure out of this.

7. I talked to her and she said the job is still mine if I cut it, but my dignity is worth more than $5.75/hr. She even said I should be an exception to their rule, but unfortunately it isnt for her to decide.

To liquid midnight: Actually I do plan on being self employed, just I needed a little capital going before I can start it (I plan on starting my own record label). I'm extremely excited about doing this, but until then I need a job to help pay for starting costs.

To deepdeath: we actually agree on something, for once

But man, as much as I despise them, I'm seriously considering giving my local aclu a call

8. Whats your hair like ? A picture would help.

9. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Dude. It's HAIR. And it's a job. Take the money, cut the hair, quit bitching.

10. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I don't think you need alot of start up cash for a record label. Just a bunch of bands that believe in you. Look at all these rapper dudes with labels, they came from the ghetto's. They surely weren't loaded.

-Mike

11. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    To be sure. Dignity is worth at LEAST $6.50 an hour.

12. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    As someone else said, its hair, get over it.

If the job paid $7 per hour would you cut your hair? $10? $15? $30?

At some point, im sure you would - I say start being a man about it, chop the hair and take the cash. :)

13. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Don't let your dreams of being the next Puff Daddy drift away because you refuse a haircut.

Grow the hair out when you are making millions off the record label. People will be coming to you for hair advice then anyway. Maybe even this HR person will buy one of your albums.

-Mike

14. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Off the record, the most brilliant scientists that
    work for
    NASA and are currently funded by them,
    all have LONG hair. They are all WEIRD
    people, all like secret Hippie scientists...

Of course, they would only hire short haired
    non hippie weird scientists but, uhhh, even in, err,
    TEXAS, they ain't making any geniuses that fit
    the current idiot mold they want. They may get 3 a year,
    the other 100 they hide away from press conferences
    while showing Apollo 13.

If you don't get hired for this job, because of
    YOUR HAIR, do me a favor and let me know, since my
    company was the biggest contributor in my cruddy
    little state to our local congressperson, a *Ranking* member
    of the Armed services comittee. I would love to know
    her name, address,email and tel #, as people who tell
    you they will judge your hair are not far off on:
    skin color, afro cut, dress, background, your politics, etc.

Hello!
    'YOU DON'T MEET OUR PROFILE!'

That's crap.

For a GOV Agency, unbelievable ...!

I would fight that rejection for 'knowledge' as we said in the 60's...

She told you to cut your hair and we MIGHT consider you ...

Name, Rank and Serial # please ...

I'll take out a cross and have her hung.

Send the info.
    Thor

15. Emerald_gasH

Emerald_gasH

Sep 17, 2000
    TO,ON,CA
    it's always gonna be like that no matter where you go...people, especially when hiring, are always judging you on appearances..you can't even get a job at McDonald's if you have too many piercings....

my biggest problem is my nosering, even though it's common in my culture...when i was being interviewed for my current job (cashier at a grocery store) i wore my nosering and i asked if i could keep it (previous experience told me to ask this)..i was told to take it out, and i did for the first few weeks..after a while the one manager who really cared about the nosering (she kept bugging me while she never even glanced at another girl who had it) eventually gave up...this may not work for everyone..

my friend was seriously considering getting a nosering too, and asked her manager if she should wear a bandaid over it or something...her manager told her that even if she was thinking about it she shouldn't be working there (she's a greeter at a bar-and-grill restaurant) and should be working at a record store!..

it always happens, no matter where you are....

16. o yea. get a job a hot topic. unless you look to "different" for them to.

17. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    That isn't even a bad type of discrimination.

It wasn't your race, religion, or voice that they didn't like. It was your hair. If they want their employees to look a certain level of professional, they have every right to do that. :-/

18. Jay

Jay

Oct 19, 2000
    Bidwell, OH
    Bad luck Jake. As a fellow long-hair, I must say that I've been through it too. Oh well, I hope something works out for you, or something. Forgive the incoherency, I'm still a bit anesthetized. :D

19. I'd cut my hair...

What's wrong with your hair anyways?

20. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I understand you're frustrated Jake, but there is discrimination out there that is a million times worse.