Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Discrimination

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Intrepid, Jun 23, 2002.

1. Intrepid

Intrepid

Oct 15, 2001
    Anybody get discriminated against when you walk into a music store...I'm only 17, and everytime I go there, they try to sell me the cheapest pieces of crap...probably think I'm a no skill, root-banging bass player and it pisses me off. I'm probably better then alot of people that have been playing 10+ years. Hell I play with guys that have been playing for 30 years, and I'm certainly no weak link among them. Just pisses me off.

2. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I made a thread a few weeks ago about this. Only I felt that it was other musician's who were discrminating against me.

3. supergreg

supergreg

Jan 20, 2002
    Everytime I go to a music store I play a lick from YYZ just so the know that Im not a root player.

4. I don't think they care how much talent you may or may not have. They probably just think you don't have any cash.

5. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by Intrepid
    Anybody get discriminated against when you walk into a music store...I'm only 17, and everytime I go there, they try to sell me the cheapest pieces of crap...probably think I'm a no skill, root-banging bass player and it pisses me off. I'm probably better then alot of people that have been playing 10+ years. Hell I play with guys that have been playing for 30 years, and I'm certainly no weak link among them. Just pisses me off.

well, it certainly seems that it hasn't been a humbling experience for you to be discriminated against...

;)

6. Intrepid

Intrepid

Oct 15, 2001
    Well, I don't usually boast about my skill, but since you'll never hear me, I have to let you know I don't suck. I'm just glad in a sort of ironic way that I'm the only one going through this type of crap.

7. Jarrod

Jarrod

Jan 1, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    they're probably assuming that a 17 year old doesn't have any money... are they right?

being good has nothing to do with the gear you use, and vice versa

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    That's just it. Root players rule. What exposes you as a poser is that typewriter-style slapping that annoys the crap out of real bass players. How's your rhythym and meter? Hows your pitch? How's your groove? How's your sight reading? How's your music theory? When you walk in to GC, nobody knows any of these things about you, so they don't know how good you are as a musician. The only thing they know is you're a kid. Then you play your hot lickin' slab-slappin' spank-the-plank solo, and they still don't know if you're a musician. They just think you're a kid who spent three weeks memorizing some Fieldy piece.

Don't take it so personally. I don't like most of the salespeople in the mega-stores like GC, but I seek out the knowledgeable friendly ones who'll show me what I ask for, then cut me a great deal on it. They exist. Why get so riled up about the pinheads? They are what they are. It's not your fault.

9. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Y'know, that's why I never slap at music stores...

10. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Here's my guess after having been in many music stores on many occasions. The typical salesperson does not care at all how well you play. They have seen every level of skill and experience in their stores. What they are interested in is just one thing--how much money they can get you to spend.

If they appear predjudiced against you in any way, it has nothing to do with their evaluation of your skill, but instead their evaluation of the fatness of your wallet. Experience has probably shown them that a tremendously skilled musician may not be the one who buys the most expensive equipment. Often it is the "hobbyist" with a well paid "day job" who spends the most on high end basses.

As for playing an impressive riff to display one's skills, I am reminded of the movie "Wayne's World" in which a music store had a sign that said, "Playing Stairway to Heaven strictly forbidden." Guitar store salespeople hear riffs all day long. What they really prefer is the ring of their cash register drawers.

11. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    Man, today i went into buy strings (d addario XL's).When I said "I'd like to buy those d addarios" then the guy was like "oh are you sure you want to buy these?these ones are better" and grabbed some other strings.ugghh its so annoying,i just wanted to yell "i know which strings i want goddam*it!" at him.geez...:(

oh by the way,this was the manager that did this,and it wasnt at GC or samash,it was at a little music store near me.

12. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    You got it, Bop. Y'know, Carvin's factory showroom has a "Forbidden Riffs List" in the sound rooms for guitar and bass. No Stairway to Heaven, no Iron Man, no Smoke on the Water, etc. etc.

13. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    LOL!I wonder what happens if you play a forbidden riff?

14. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    They kick you out and tell you never to come back, or they kill you. Depends on their mood.

15. being a teenager, i know how it feels. but i dont feel talent discrimination, and playing sweet licks is a nice ego boost, but nothing special(i played the Nothing Else Matter guitar intro (dont stone me please) and impressed some little 14 year old punk trying to play blink). the prejudice i feel in ANY store is the no trust factor. they think "little punk teenager, he's gonna steal" then follow me around the store. that pisses me off.

16. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

I love this answer. Munji, you are truly the Ed Fuqua of Plankville. Keep 'em coming.....

17. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I'm embarrassed to live in Plankville. Sometimes I wonder if I'm surrounded by idiots. Can I come live with you Munji?

18. Jarrod

Jarrod

Jan 1, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    this is dead on... i used to work at Sam Ash, and usually the biggest sales i made were to middle aged guys playing in their spare time... i would sit and listen to some balding guy play the same basic blues lick on a $3,000 les paul custom for an hour before he finally hands it to me and says he'll take it

when a 17 year old comes in and shreds out a kirk hammett solo for two hours, lets face it, we can assume they aren't going to buy that guitar... and i've got plenty of work to do, so sorry to that kid if he feels ignored

on the other hand, i had to listen to plenty of 40 year old children crank the amp to 10 and shred too... PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT: SHREDDING TELLS THE SALESMAN YOU'RE JUST THERE TO SHOW OFF AND NOT TO BUY. its been proven

true again... by the end of the day, i would rather kill myself than hear "enter sandman" one more time

look, music store employees love music--thats why they took the job, but people need to realize that it IS a job, and the salespeople earn their living by making sales... its nothing personal if they won't let a 13 year old play the most expensive instrument in the store... they don't have time to babysit that instrument, and next week when a real buyer comes for it, he or she will be pissed that it is scraped up by the kid's wallet chain from last week

19. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

What some customers and visitors at music instrument stores often forget is that the store is in business to make a profit which they do by selling music gear and accessories. Some customers seem to resent this very basic fact.

Truth is music stores are very little different than car lots and music store employees who are paid on commission have the same motivations as car salespersons. They don't care how well you drive. They don't care how much you know about auto mechanics and auto design. All they care about is how much money you have to buy or lease a car.

Sad, but true...when a teenager comes on the auto lot, the salesperson may presume that teen does not have much money--if any--to spend. The same is true in a music store. It does not matter how well that teenager plays. It doesn't even matter if he is the next Jaco. The salesperson will make a determination based on where to spend his time...the surgeon who has a weekend jam session in his well appointed rec room or the teenager. My bet is that the surgeon will buy the high end bass, not the teen--unless that teen is the surgeon's son. Anyway, it still has nothing to do with how well the kid plays. So playing like Vic Wooten probably won't get the notice one desires from a busy music salesperson. Flashing a roll or cash will.