Disenchanted with the Doublebuck

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TheRagingSwede, Jun 22, 2005.

1. I meandered into the GC in Nashua, NH today and it was quite a sight. I look to the first high peg on the pillar, i see a new corvette standard with really pretty bubinga figuring, and i drooled. I then saw the FNA jazzman on the high peg with the nice top and the pinstripe. Lo and behold, upon the middle peg was the corvette doublebuck. Needless to say, I developed a bass induced erection.

I immediately requested to play it, (not wanting to take it down myself for fear of breaking it). I hooked it up to the nearest amp that was working, along with several others as the time progressed. And then... :bassist:

As I played with the controls, switching from parallel to single coil to series, I thought it sounded quite nice. However, this bass did NOT provide the tone i was very much expecting to hear. While it does have the dual humbuckers, I don't think I really got a solid humbucker sound out of it once! It sounded more like a really meaty jazz bass with lousy pickups more than what I had hoped for. Needless to say, I have passed my GAS for this bass. :p

What now you may ask? Well, for me there are now a few Warwick options remaining. Try out the FNA jazzman again, see how that sounds, try to get a test on a Corvette Proline, or hit up Ebay for a Fortress masterman or Fortress one. I may wait a bit and see how the new EB MM models sound with their dual humbuckers, but odds are high I'll end up with a sterling or a highly pimped out Fender Aerodyne.
  2. ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    IMHO, no one, NO ONE, does humbuckers like Ernie Ball. Many others i've heard at gigs i've been to sounded nice, but there simply is nothing like the nasty, gritty, nasally tone that EB instruments get from their humbuckers. And the bongo HH, bass heaven... just a little more saving... :rolleyes:

As for J's, i like the sound of some ibanez basses i have played recently. really surprised me with their tone.

p.s. check out a status stealth. fastest neck i have ever played!
  3. For serious! The tone out of those two humbuckers didn't even come close to matching what I want to hear, based upon the sterlings and stingrays i've played. Playing that bass made me go from wanting to have a 'wick really bad, to wanting a really nice suped up Fender and a Sterling.

Now I just have to save up for two basses instead of one. :bag:
  4. You know, that's kind of depressing to hear... I was kind of looking forward to my trip to Bass Central to try out one of these double 'bucker beasts, and now I hear that it's not what's to be expected!!!

Well, I kind of had an inkling that the Sterling was going to win in my test run against the Double Buck anyway... Now, just to decide if I should wait for a double H Sterling, or go ahead and nab a single one... decisions decisions...

thinking... hard,
  5. darkside 88

darkside 88

Feb 23, 2005
    Bay Area, CA

True. The HH Bongo is one sweet piece of work. Can't wait for the HH 'rays.

6. Wait for the HH Sterling! I'm just gonna mod out an Aerodyne then bide my time til they are available. I know EB won't disappoint like Warwick did. :sigh:
  7. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    I've seen a RATM tribute band here with a Corvette FNA.
    Blindfolded, you wouldn't have been able to tell the difference

As for saying it "sounded more like a really meaty jazz bass with lousy pickups", it makes me wonder whether the strings were dead on it. The others who tried it so far were not so disappointed. And besides, it's not that hard to install and aftermarket p-up
  8. S Lewis

S Lewis

May 23, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    did somebody say T-40? :p

i can get excellent Warwick growl from the bridge pickup on my T-40, which is one of the main reasons i got it in the first place
  9. The strings were definitely not dead. I was the first person in the store to play the thing! The strings were brand new.

I also feel that some of the others who have played it were the ones who ordered it without playing it at all. They're out 1200 bucks and just HAVE to think its good.

Perhaps an aftermarket pickup would improve the sound, but I was really expecting much more right off the shelf.
  10. AcousTronic

Jun 14, 2005
    Miami, FL
    Hey Swede you mentioned that you hooked it up to the "nearest amp that was working". Could it be that the amp just wasn't set right or wasn't a great amp to begin with?

Reason I ask, is because I stumbled onto a Corvette $$ 5 string this past weekend, and fell in love with it's meaty growl from the the moment I plugged it in!! It had tone to die for, and the neck was thinner than any other Warwick I had played before and it had a closer string spacing than any 5 string I had played. IMHO, that bass has it all. I'm now trying to find a way to get it.