Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dish Network dropped all the Nickelodean channels- what's the best way to complain?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by dryheatbob, Mar 9, 2004.

1. Anyone with li'l kids knows what a drag this is. Any suggestions about the best way to complain and get all those channels back?

My wife has already contacted Viacom to complain and is in the process of dropping our satellite company in favor of one(or cable) that still has Nick. She'll let them know why we're dropping them, too.

Anybody else lose Nick? What are you doing about it?

Bob

2. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    on regular cable, the stations that were going to get dropped were scrolling messages with an 800 number through out the weekend. i'm sorry i didn't write down the number, but it did make me aware about the issue.

this sucks, nick is a good station for the kids.

i did a few pickets against Dish Network last year, so it doesn't surprise that they don't have the community in their best interests. i'll bet you that the company's executives are making a nice amount of money, though. dam dirty rat bastards.

drop your service and tell them why you are dropping.

just my 2 pesos

3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
  4. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    nyuck, nyuck, nyuck!

:D

5. dry,

Slashdot covered this story yesterday; it relates to this lawsuit. .

Viacom is trying to force Dish to pay too much money to carry the content, and Dish wants to keep its rates low. Your best bet is to call Viacom and complain.

You may want to read the Slashdot story for more comments from other Dish subscribers.

6. Thanks for the link. I knew there was a problem, but I figured thaey resolve it without resorting to dropping the channels, like they did with ESPN. Time to get off my complacent arse and do some complaining I guess.

Funny thing about those crawlers with the 800 phone numbers- they were never on long before the message was blacked out. I got a sense of the problem from the crawlers, but never saw a phone number.

I'm gonna have withdrawals if I don't get a The Nanny fix soon!

Bob

7. OK... so I've looked over the links and the various links to the links...

Viacom is claiming to want "only" a 6 cent/customer increase per month, this after Dish has just raised the monthly rates to subscribers by $3 a month. On the surface this seems fair, until you figure in how many customers Dish has. I don't actually know how many customers they have, but I figure the money Viacom wants has got to be a WOW number.

Dish says Viacom is trying to stick them for a figure that is something like 4x the rate of inflation; they don't say what the figure is or attempt to explain how they arrived at it being 4x inflation. But they see it as excessive.

Somebody once said there are lies, damn lies, and then there are statistics.

The truth lies somewhere between the parties complaints, me thinks. And I'm too dumb to figure out who is truly in the wrong.

I do know without Viacoms programing, Dish Network's offerings are second rate compared to the competition.

Anyone think they'll reduce my monthly bill if they don't replace all that programming? ;) Shuriiiiite!!!

"Hello, Cox Communication? How soon can you have an installer out to my house?"

Bob

8. That's pretty much what I've gathered from reading the various stories, but I'd say Viacom is indeed being exuberant, especially if the report that they recently gave a much better deal to DirecTV.

However, I think Dish is actually giving you credits on your account for losing that programming, but not sure how it impacts your bill. Check your bill next time and let us know!

9. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Viacom Resolves Contract Dispute With EchoStar
    CBS, MTV, Nickelodeon and other channels will be restored for millions of Dish Network satellite customers.
    By Sallie Hofmeister
    Times Staff Writer

March 11, 2004

EchoStar Communications Inc. and Viacom Inc. late Wednesday settled a contract dispute that left millions of Dish Network satellite TV customers without access to CBS, MTV, Nickelodeon and a handful of other channels in one of the biggest blackouts in recent memory.

EchoStar, the nation's second-largest satellite TV provider, pulled the signals of the Viacom channels when talks broke down before the two sides could reach an agreement to renew their distribution contract by Monday's midnight deadline.

About 1.6 million Dish Network subscribers in 16 major cities, including Los Angeles, were unable to tune in to CBS, the most widely watched network in the nation. Dish's entire customer base of 10 million nationwide went without Viacom's cable channels, which include some of the most popular in the country. In addition to CBS, MTV and Nickelodeon, Viacom owns Black Entertainment Network, Comedy Central, TV Land and VH1, among others.

An estimated 410,000 Dish customers were affected in the Los Angeles area, according to Centris, a Santa Monica-based research firm.

Terms of the new agreement were not disclosed. But the companies said EchoStar would distribute Viacom's Nick Toons children's channel, a network that the satellite carrier on Tuesday had refused to carry, calling it "obscure." EchoStar also had balked at the price increase Viacom had demanded.

The contract negotiations had become so bitter between the companies that Englewood, Colo.-based EchoStar filed an antitrust lawsuit against Viacom in January, alleging that the New York-based entertainment giant was using the popularity of CBS, home of "Survivor" and next week's NCAA "March Madness" basketball tournament, to force it to carry less popular channels such as Nick Toons.

All litigation is settled as part of the new agreement.

EchoStar was offering to reimburse customers between $1 and $2 a month for the outage.

In 2000, Time Warner Inc. removed ABC from its cable systems in New York and six other cities while haggling with Walt Disney Co. over how much to pay for its cable channels. In January 2003, 400,000 Cox Communications customers lost the Fox network for a week in a dispute over whether the cable company should also carry two Fox cable channels.

Viacom shares fell 98 cents to $38.24 in New York Stock Exchange trading and EchoStar fell 16 cents to $34.12 on Nasdaq.

10. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    One less reason to kill time with TV. Isn't that a good thing?

11. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    DRYHEATBOB,

I know this doesn't answer your question directly, and it's really just a thought or suggestion, as I certainly would never be asinine enough to try and tell anyone how to raise their kids, but a lot of parents today are forgoing the normal television route, and purchasing the shows on DVD. The thing that I REALLY REALLY like about this method, and their really is some good programming out there for kids, is that you circumvent the commercials. C'mon, what working parent needs to have kids watching the crap they put out their in commercials? By purchasing DVDs of the programs, sure you spend a little more money, (don't forget about half.com), but you save yourself the headache of undoing the damage that ToysRUs, McDonalds, Mattel and Barbie do to your children. Plus, you can better regulate the amount of programming that your children watch.

Just a thought.

12. It took me three days to check out this thread, but thou shallt pay dearly for that one, Mr. Wrong man! :D

THAT WAS GREAT !!!

Back on topic: Drop them like hot charcoal! Seriously, what cable or satellite company would drop Nick? Those filthy swine! :spit:

Mike

13. Sorry, thought this thread was dead.

Anyway, dish was gonna knock $1 off the monthly bill. That may have been alot to them and nice goodwill gesture, but the kiddies still want to see Dora the explorer.

I didn't see anything about Diretctv getting a better deal, but that would explain why Dish wants more from subscribers for basically the same programing. The denero is still coming out of my pocket and that's a big factor in getting as much as I can for what I'm paying... or at least get what I want.

It's all mute now that it's been resolved, though I'm going to switch to Directtv- more usable programing for the buck with them.

Bob

14. Nick for the little guys doesn't have much in the way of commercials. Basically it's the show followed by shorts. Purchasing the shows on dvd doesn't work with my daughter- I've taped the shows it's OK for her to watch, and she knows when it's live and when it's memorex(remember those commercials?). Better than that she knows to get me or my wife when NickJR switches to regular Nick so we can turn it off.

"Daddy(Mommy)! The big kid shows are on!" is what she typically hollers if I'm(or my wife) not in the room when NickJR signs off.

Regulating watch she watches is pretty easy- she's too busy setting up and maintaining my basses for much TV anyway. ;)

We actually keep the kids busy most of the day with other things- my wife during the day, and I get them when I get home from work 'til bedtime. Pretty nice arraingment. But I'll admit tiring!

Bob

15. "TV ROTS YER BRAIN!"

-Mama in Throw Mama from the Train

Nope. Never bought that theory when it was new, don't buy it now.

History channel
    Various news channels
    Sports channel
    Disney Family channel
    Discovery channel
    The Learning channel
    Classic movie channels(can't recall their names at the moment)
    Music programming(not MTV type stuff- I'm talking about Digital radio stations)
    THe affore mentioned NickJR

And plenty of others that escape me at the moment that are far above the type of programing that people love to complain about as being the bane of society.

It is possible to pick and chose good programming. You just have to make a decision to look for something a cut above the rest.

Not that I haven't found myself sucked in to the occasional reality show! :D

Bob

16. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    At least if you have cable. I don't, which in my stone-age country means that I have three channels. Given all the crap they broadcast one would have been enough.

Tell me, what do people watch? What kind of programmes get the highest ratings? It's not the educational ones, that's for sure.

You could say that everything is possible, that there's always a way around every "pitfall" (not a very objective choice of words, I admit) you can find in society. You don't have to watch stupid TV shows, you don't have to listen to crap music on commercial radio, you don't have to follow every trend that appears, you don't have to turn to alcohol to escape depression... whatever! But people want a quick and easy solution. Entertainment, preferrably as simple as possible.

Rant, rant, rant. Shut up, Oyster.

17. Nah, rant away! With only 3 TV channels to chose from, what else is there to do? :D

Sad to say I think what you hint at- that people will choose the lowest common denominator when it comes to entertainment- is true. Isn't human nature? We all slow down to stare at the carnage left after a car accident, even when there isn't any. Never know when the odd body part is gonna roll out from under the tarp.

We are what we are.

Oh yeah- to answer your question- lowest common denominator= highest TV ratings. IMHO.

At least that is the way it appears here in the ol' USA

Bob

18. now that theres no nick we must resort to campfire songs.

OHHHHH, who lives in a pineapple under the sea???

SpOnGe BoB sQuArEpAnTs!!!!!!

19. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Viacom killed the tv star?

20. Oooooh, that was close. I thought you were gonna break into a rousing version of Cumbaya.

If you had, I'd of been compelled to hunt you down and beat you silly with a TV guide. :D

Bob

Ps: Spongebob rocks.