Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dishonest Ebayer or a genuine mistake?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by yoshi, Sep 25, 2003.

1. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    This is based on a true, real life encounter I had over ebay.

Ok, I was the highest bidder on some bass stringsand so sent off a postal order as payemnt, or should I saymy mum did it whilst I was at college.

Days passed, a week infact, then I recived an email asking where payment was. I replied: 'I sent it'.

A few more days passed, and another email came in about payment. I then asked my mum for the Postal order tag to claim a refund, she said she'd forgotton to tear it off, meaning I had no proof of payment.

The guy then said to fill in a form anyway, giving his name and such, possibly knowing full well he had the dosh and I had no method toretrieve it.

I then, after a bit of thought, replied 'Yeah, good idea, theyll have any transactions made under your name on file and when tehy see you havnt done the transaction itll be proof that it didnt arrive'.

funilly ebough, the order 'arrived' the next morning.

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

There is no record of Postal Order transactions! They are effectively cash, once sent. You couldn't get any compensation for sending them.

I would strongly advise against using these for this purpose and a cheque would be much better as there would certainly be a record of it having been cashed!

3. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    The word is "check."

4. That can't be right. Granted, if you lose your copy of the PMO, you're probably up poop creek, but if you have the PMO No., you should be able to contact the Post Office (in Canadialand, the Postal Service has a dep't that dedicates itself to PMO issues), and they should be able to put a trace on it. Once they determine that the PMO has not been "transacted" - (usually after a 3 month waiting period) - a refund is mailed to you.

The word is "cheque".

5. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    You guys are all wrong, it is Czech!

6. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    im czech.......

steve

7. odie

odie Supporting Member

No its spelled C-H-E-X!!!

I guess I should have put this in M.Moneysthread!:rolleyes:

8. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    From the info you gave....

"'Yeah, good idea, theyll have any transactions made under your name on file and when tehy see you havnt done the transaction itll be proof that it didnt arrive'. "

"funilly ebough, the order 'arrived' the next morning."

....it seems ignorance instead of him trying to rip you off. I used to work at a guitar store that sold alot of stuff on eBay. So much that he's lose track of what he was doing. There were times he'd email people about not getting payment but the truth was he deposit the funds, sent the item & left a positive feedback for the transaction. There were also times he shipped the item before he received the funds.

Personally, I try not to buy something from eBay when the person has 1,000,000 feedbacks or is currently seling alot of items at once.

9. thumbtrap

thumbtrap

Jun 26, 2003
    Before you go arguing about spelling and Postal procedures, cheque and make sure where the first two posters are located folks. They aint talking bout the organization run by Ben Franklin.

10. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Who would locate them?

11. thumbtrap

thumbtrap

Jun 26, 2003
    Bruce Lindfield
    Arbiter of Good Taste
    Supporting Member
    Location: Brighton, East Sussex, (South Coast) England, Europe.

yoshi

12. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Not in England - I worked on the Post Office counter for 4 years!! And he also said that his mother hadn't kept the counterfoil - so, no chance!!

And even in Yorkshire, they write cheques!! ;)