Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dishwashing strings...

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Freaky Fender, Oct 25, 2003.

1. I've done a search on this and came up with almost nothing, and I was just curious as to how this is done.

I assume you put the strings coiled up in the dishwasher, but do you use any detergent?

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    DON'T - unless you want really dead strings.

Get an old pickle jar glass, fill it with alcohol and put the strings in overnight. This really works.

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Yes but that also weakens the strings... i think.

I steer clear of any method of cleaning strings, other than always having clean hands and wiping them down with a wet rag. Id rather have mildly dead strings than weak/brittle strings.

4. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    How should it weaken them?

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I dont know exactly.. i havent done it...

I know boiling weakens them.... and ive read that alcohol does too, just to a lesser extent.I could be wrong though.

*gets some coffee*

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I have soaked strings in denatured alcohol several times now and haven't had any problems with 'weakened' strings. I doubt that pure alcohol will damage your strings. OTOH, water is corrosive. Using water to clean strings, whether room temperature, boiled, or whatever, will definitely weaken them. Water corrodes metal.

7. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Do you think all water will corrode, or just "hard" water?

8. Alcohol is the best way to clean your stings, for those who have very acidic skin!

Otherwise wipe your strings down between sets and at the end of your gig!

[​IMG]
    Treena

9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

All water is corrosive.

10. Well, I took jeff's route, and put them in a tupperware bin with alcohol, put it in the freezer and left it over night. This morning I was question weither it worked or not. Then as I was pouring the alcohol out, I saw a big grey liquid blob flot by my index finger. I guess it answered my question then!

11. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Why did you put it in the freezer?

That's not necessary. And you can keep the alcohol for further use (I'd rather use a glass jar than a tupperware thing).

12. (Remember, this is just in theory) Well, I would imagine that the freezing temperatures would cause the molucules in the metal to be closer and stuck together, causing the metal to be tighter.

13. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    That might be true in theory, but I don't think it'll have any noticeable effect.