Dismountable Neck

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by tommy154578, Sep 8, 2003.

1. tommy154578

Jul 14, 2003
    I've been told a couple of times about URBs with "dismountable" necks (don't know if that's the correct word); i.e, a neck that is joined to the DB by means of a kinda screw or sth like that. Have you ever heard fo such a thing?

2. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
  3. Touch

Aug 7, 2002
    Boulder, CO
  4. Bob Ross' basses are breathtaking. Beautiful detail, looks like some leads taken from Paul's Bohmann.
  5. Eric, I just read Bob Ross your comliment and he was thrilled. He'll be joining in here with us soon.
    Removable necks are not a new thing. There's a picture of a guitar shaped bass from an Italian Monastery with a detachable neck in Looking At The Double Bass by Raymond Elgar. Also a maker named Prokop in the 19th century made some, as well as another Italian maker named Valvitoni.
    The Ross bass was comissioned by Mark Neihoff, an excellent classical/jazz bassist who is in the Colorado Springs Symphony. I think Mark has posted on this forum some time ago. He had a case made for this bass and just got back from a gig in China with this instrument.
  6. tommy154578

Jul 14, 2003
    Well, it seems they are much more common than I thought. Still, I've got a kinda obvious doubt: how is the sound post fitted? I mean, I guess it will fall every time the neck is moved...or is there anything that keeps it in its right position?

7. Mike Carr

Mike Carr

Feb 5, 2002
    Hong Kong
    I recently returned to the United States after finishing a three month jazz gig at a fine hotel in Jakarta (not the one that was recently car bombed, thank God!)
    My choice for this kind of work is the Eminence Removable Neck Bass. It's neck is held in place by one long bolt that screws into a precision machined metal groove that's set into a block at the area of the bass where the neck meets the body. A matching metal piece is set into the inside heel of the bass's neck and the whole thing slides in and out for quick assembly. It's a very clever araingment and it has worked flawlessly. The bass flys a lot, it's been to Dubai, UAE and back, then Jakarta and back, and come late October is will be going with me to Japan. It fits in a molded case of the type designed to fit golf clubs, and so far this case has protected the bass successfully while in transit, I check it thru as regular baggage, don't have to pay or try to bill my clients for oversize baggage or cargo fees now.
    Regarding the soundpost, it's never moved, I was concerned about that when I first took delivery of the bass while in Dubai this past Feb. but was assured by it's maker that I needn't worry about it. I don't know if it's just set real tight or maybe even glued in place, because I've never felt a need to attempt to adjust it, it's allways in the same spot even after I take the bass apart, which of course means taking all the tension of the strings and removing them at the tailpiece. It don't move, so I don't worry.
    Gets a fine sound, the musical style for these gigs is straight ahead jazz, certainly not bluegrass even though the bass would work great for that with the right strings and set-up. Mine's set medium low, with Spirocores and I get just enough sustain out of it for a good jazz sound with it's stock pickup, I tried adding an Underwood at one point but found that all the extra "mwah and compression" that those pickups are famous for didn't compliment the bass, it did make for an interesting kind of "Stanley Clarke meets Eddie Gomez circa early 1980's" upright bass in your face kind of tone, but that's not what the gig I do really needs. The bass sounds much more natural with the stock pickup, which is a "Realist" that's undergone some slight modification to work best with this bass. I mention this lest anyone out there think that the Eminence is a "bluegrass" bass by design, it's a portable double bass that indeed sounds very much like a double bass, and thus has the same flexability, soundwise, as any good quality laminated bass, it's sound is anything you want it to be, depending on your choice of strings, bridge height and your playing style.
  8. If you had gone on the Ross site, you would've noticed that this bass has a removable door in the C bout! This is not too popular with purists because Bob uses velcro to lock the door. I'm pretty much a purist, i've been studying basses for 40 years and this bothered me at first too. When I heard this bass and played it, I had to re-think all that. It sounds great. It's no more weird than using linen to line the basses insides for strength.
    Anyway, this door is also there to give easy access for re-setting the sound post after travel.
  9. OK Paul, when I read somewhere that Stad used velcro on his fiddles, I won't think it's weird.
  10. tommy154578

Jul 14, 2003
    Is it right to glue the soundpost?? Isn't that going to badly affect the sound??? There must be some other way to do it, I guess, apart from that removable door (I understand fitting the soundpost is quite a work so that seems to be a cool idea)

11. Tommy, My God...Who said anything about gluing the sound post??? The sound post is held in by the pressure from the strings and bridge. It SHOULD barely be held as well. A sound post can stay in place when you take the pressure off, but it should fall with a couple of taps on the bass. You need to be able to adjust the sound post at all times because of weather, tonal adjustment, etc. NEVER glue a sound post!
  12. Originally posted by Mike Carr:
    Tommy, you have to remember the Eminence is an electric upright bass. As such, the cavity and soundpost under the bridge may contribute something to the character of the sound, but the main sound- producing elements of the instrument are entirely different from an acoustic upright bass. They're two entirely different instruments.
  13. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Okay then, if not glue for the soundpost, how about some big wood screws?

KIDDING, Paul....(though I've actually seen that done to a bass!).
  14. Howzabout some nice chromed, die-cast metal flanges, like the ones that hold up yer shower curtain rod?
  15. tommy154578

Jul 14, 2003
    Paul, I asked about the glue because Mike said
    "...don't know if it's just set real tight or maybe even glued in place..."
    I understand there are several uprigths with removable necks and without the "door"; I just wonder how the soundpost stays in its place.

16. The answer to that question is that they don't. I know several good player that always take their soundpost setter with them to tweek it while on tour. These are players who have non-removable necks without a door and they don't loosen the strings for traveling.

Contrary to common opinion, resetting a post is not a particularly difficult skill to acquire. Most luthiers will show you the basics so you don't damage the top while you are resetting the post. If you take a mirror on a long handle (from an auto store) and a light inside, you will see that the post usually leaves scuff marks on the top where it has been. That gives you a pretty good idea where it's been in the past.
  17. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    Well..... sorta maybe not exactly. It sent me to my Eminence and caused the following reaction:

Please excuse the quick and dirty recording, but find an 88K MP3 file I just made associated with this message.

Sloppy technique (recording and playing): an almost 30 year old Radio Shack condenser mic plugged into the sound card of my 550mhz PC, recorded by Sound Forge. No EQ, nothing applied to the sound file, just coverted it from a 1.59mb WAV to 88K MP3. That's my four string Eminence (Corelli 370F strings) about 18-22 inches away from the mic, which was lying on the edge of my computer desk, which puts it just about midway between the end of the fingerboard and the bridge.

It's this acoustic sound conveyed by the pickup that makes me feel that the Eminence is not related to the common FEBGOAS (Fretless Electric Bass Guitar On A Stick) often peddled as an EUB, which is why I bought one for myself and now sell them.

(Addendum: Obviously, I'm just trying to make a point, but also should say that compression and PC speakers aren't always the best way to hear an instrument... but I had to try.)
  18. If the sound post is set too tight,worst case scenario: big time crack in the top. bad case scenario: a big bump on the top where the sound post was forced, also on the back in the case of carved backs. Flat backs have a middle brace on the back where the sound post rests.
    Marcus, me too. I saw a nice German bass with a NAIL 1/2 way through the top into the sound post! Nice place to hang your keys!
    Tommy, sorry I jumped on you. I missed the fact that you were responding about the other statement. When i hear stuff like this, I kind of go out.