1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Disney "Earth" - Capitolism at its finest

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by DudeistMonk, Apr 11, 2009.

1. DudeistMonk

DudeistMonk

Apr 13, 2008
    Newark, NJ
    EDIT:Spell check doesn't work on title fields...my bad "Capitalism"

So I saw a commercial for Disney "Earth" and had a strong sense of deja vu..."I have seen those flowers grow in time lapse before...and that shark...and those dolphins...and that flock of birds...."

Turns out (after a little research) that Disney took the footage from the BBC/Discovery documentary "Planet Earth" (which I own on DVD and watch all the time) Repackaged it with their own Disney spin and want people to pay $10 bucks to see it in theaters, even though they could watch it on the discovery channel for free.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/11/movies/11earth.html

Is it just me or does anyone else feel like Disney is just trying to cash in on the environmental movement?

2. The environmental movement is one huge push to ruin capitalism and make as much money doing it as these eco friendly companies possibly can. Slap a picture of a leaf on whatever you are selling and BOOM! Eco friendly and as such has to cost more. I am all about not trashing the planet just for the sake of doing so, but I don't get involved with movements of any kind. Mob thinking is usually low quality thinking to adopt.

3. bass12

bass12 Say "Ahhh"... Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    Capitolism - the belief that one capitol is inherently superior to another? You mean "capitalism", right?

4. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    Disney cashing in on something?

Never. Your dreaming.

5. Who is really to blame though? The people who provide what is demanded or the throngs of fools clamoring for it?

6. DudeistMonk

DudeistMonk

Apr 13, 2008
    Newark, NJ
    Yeah spell check doesn't work on title fields...You know what I mean, my argument is still plenty valid.

7. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    You name it, they'll exploit it.

8. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    fg_rtg_disney_hitler.

Hm...